Can you eat spicy food with a sore throat?
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can you eat spicy food with a sore throat?”. We will also discuss what foods and drinks to avoid when you have a sore throat, as well as what you are allowed to eat for a sore throat.
Can you eat spicy food with a sore throat?
No, it is not recommended to eat spicy things when you have a sore throat. This is because some spicy foods such as chili peppers and hot sauces can worsen inflammation.
When the throat is sore or irritated, it is advisable to discard any spicy food. Strongly flavored foods can increase symptoms and cause inflammation to increase. For this reason, pepper, paprika, or chili, as well as spicy sauces or soups present in Asian or Mexican cuisine, should be avoided.
What other types of food can irritate the throat?
- Acidic foods: certain foods such as lemons and oranges can irritate the throat and mucosa.
- Hot food: when you have throat pains, eating very hot food and drinks can be counterproductive and, instead of soothing, can irritate the throat even more. The best thing to do is to consume warm food and drinks.
- Hard or solid foods: these can obstruct the throat duct and increase the pain. In this sense, you should avoid eating crackers, nuts, cereals, carrots, and other similar foods, unless you decide to crush them before or soften them with the help of warm milk.
- Spicy food: spices such as cloves, cumin, or curry are not recommended because they irritate the throat. Instead, it is possible to use other milder and lighter spices such as basil and oregano.
What are the drinks that irritate the throat?
On the other hand, these are the drinks to avoid if you have a sore or sore throat:
- Drinks with caffeine: coffee or energy drinks do not cease to be stimulants that can negatively influence recovery. The same goes for alcohol. Neither excessive cold nor excessive heat are good allies, so renounce these extremes and opt for lukewarm drinks such as juices made naturally.
- Drinks that are too cold: these should be avoided. It is possible to take some cold beverages that can be ingested little by little, such as natural fruit popsicles.
- Very sugary juices: juices with a high level of sugar can cause bacteria to reproduce more easily, which would accelerate the development of the disease. Therefore, it is necessary to discard juices bought in the supermarket and choose those prepared with fresh fruit and without added sugar.
Why is it important to take care of your diet?
Sore throat is a very common symptom of a cold. It usually appears before any other, so it is essential to make a proper control of food to avoid aggravating the situation.
There are foods that irritate the throat and we must know what they are to discard them from our daily diet, thus, the inflammation will gradually decrease. When we are tired and sore as a result of a respiratory tract infection, it is possible to feel an appetite, but we must be careful and avoid certain foods and beverages that could worsen the symptoms.
What are the symptoms and causes of sore throat?
Symptoms of sore throat may depend on the cause. Signs and symptoms may include:
- A sore or scratchy feeling in the throat
- Pain that gets worse when swallowing or talking
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sore, swollen glands in the neck or jaw
- Swollen, red tonsils
- White patches or pus on the tonsils
- A hoarse or muffled voice
The causes include viruses that cause the common cold and the flu also cause most sore throats. Less often, bacterial infections cause sore throats. Also, Bacterial infections
Many bacterial infections can cause a sore throat. The most common is Streptococcus pyogenes (group A streptococcus) which causes strep throat.
What are the foods that will help reduce throat irritation?
When we have a sore throat there are certain types of foods that can help us to alleviate the symptoms mentioned earlier in the article. Likewise, they will help us to reduce the pain and irritation.
- Warm, cooked pasta, including macaroni and cheese
- Warm oatmeal, cooked cereal, or grits
- Gelatin desserts
- Plain yogurts or yogurts with pureed fruits
- Cooked vegetables
- Fruit or vegetable smoothies
- Mashed potatoes
- Broth and cream-based soups
- Non Acidic juices, such as grape or apple juice
- Scrambled or hard-boiled eggs
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query “can you eat spicy food with a sore throat?”. We have also discussed what foods and drinks to avoid when you have a sore throat, as well as what you are allowed to eat for a sore throat.