can you eat pig brain
In this brief guide we will answer the query “can you eat pig brain”. We will also discuss what the pig brain is, its nutritional values, health benefits, and a few other facts related to the pig brain.
Can you eat pig brain?
Yes, you can eat pig brain. Pig brain is a highly nutritious food that can be sourced easily. It can be cooked to create delicious dishes that can satisfy your taste buds.
What is a pig brain?
Pig brains are, as the name suggests, simply brains of pigs that are harvested for food. Using pig brains for food plays a very important role in the nose-to-tail eating concept. The nose-to-tail eating concept is very suitable for today’s society as people are interested in ways to reduce waste and become more environmentally friendly.
What are the nutritional aspects of eating pig brain?
- Fat – pig brain is a very good source of healthy fat. It is very rich in essential fatty acids such as DHA which help maintain normal brain functions of adults. Another important fact is that compared to pig muscle meat pig brain has a lower amount of inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids.
- Protein – compared to other organ meats pig brain contains the lowest amount of proteins. However, the proteins it does contain are truly complete with all the main amino acids included in them. Pig brain is ideal for diet plans that require around 80% of the calories to come from fat. The ketogenic diet and carnivore diet are examples of such diet plans.
- Vitamin B12 – 3 ounces of pig brain can provide one-third of the required daily intake (RDI) of vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 helps the function and development of the brain, nerves, and blood cells. It helps keep the cells energized. By adding eggs or beef to your diet along with pig brain you can fulfill the daily requirement of vitamin B12.
- Other Vitamins – pig brain contains many other nutrients including Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B2. Both these vitamins are important in maintaining the health of the brain and other systems in the body. Vitamin B2 also helps in converting the food you consume into energy. Additionally, thiamine (Vitamin B1) and niacin (Vitamin B3) are also present in pig brains at considerable levels.
- Other Nutrients – there are many other important nutrients that you will receive from eating pig brain. For example, the pig brain can provide you with varying amounts of phosphorus, copper, iron, and zinc.
- Cholesterol – 100 grams of pig brain contains ten times that of the RDI of dietary cholesterol. The body has several uses for dietary cholesterol. It is used to produce hormones required for the body. Cholesterol also acts as a precursor for some vitamins, acids, and hormones produced in the human body.
- Hormones – pig brain is also rich in steroid hormones and thyroid hormones as well. Steroid hormones regulate many physiological processes in the body while thyroid hormone controls your body’s metabolism, the process of transforming the food you consume into energy.
What are the health benefits of eating pig brains?
- Mood-boosting – Vitamin B in the pig brain is known for its ability to energize the cells and lift the mood. It also helps clear protein byproducts out of the brain which can help people with depression.
- Hormone-balancing – nutrients in the pig brain can boost hormone levels in the body. DHEA, progesterone, and pregnenolone are the three most useful hormones that can be boosted by eating pig brains.
DHEA stimulates the growth of bones, helps thermogenesis, and promotes circulation. Progesterone protects the thymus gland, adrenal gland, and thyroid. It is also very important during pregnancy. Pregnenolone helps counter adverse effects that are caused by aging. Pregnenolone can convert to either one of DHEA or progesterone.
- Although this is not confirmed via a study it is believed that eating organs of animals can boost the health of the corresponding organ in your own body. Some studies are being carried out to confirm if the organ-specific nutrients in consumed animal organs travel to the corresponding organ in high concentrations.
How to cook pig brain?
There are many different recipes available on the internet on methods of preparing pig brains for a meal. It can be made into a scramble with eggs, incorporated into a soup, or roasting is also a very popular method of preparing pig brains.
You can find some advice on how to prepare pig brains for cooking here.
Pig brains are considered a delicacy in Chinese cuisine. There are hundreds of recipes on different ways of preparing pig brains into a delicious meal. Roast brains, hot pot brains, Mapo Tofu brains, stewed brains, and pig brain noodles are some famous Chinese pig brain dishes.
In this brief guide we have answered the query “can you eat pig brain”. We have also discussed what the pig brain is, its nutritional values, health benefits, and a few other facts related to the pig brain.