Can you eat pesto after 14 days?
In this brief guide, we will answer the question “can you eat pesto after 14 days?”. This article will write about what pesto is, how long pesto can last under storage, is it safe to eat pesto after 14 days, how to tell if pesto is spoiled and how to store pesto to extend its shelf life.
Can you eat pesto after 14 days?
Yes. One can eat pesto after 14 days but it depends on several factors. This includes the preparation method, the storage method and the best before date.
What is pesto?
Pesto is a basil-based sauce originated from Genoa in Italy. Originally, pesto is made with leaves of pine nuts, basil, salt, garlic, olive oil and parmesan.
How long does pesto last under storage?
Pesto can last for a different number of days under different storage conditions. The pesto can be stored under cold temperature conditions to extend its shelf life. Cold temperature storage includes storage under the refrigerator and storage under the freezer conditions.
Here are the different storage methods discussed.
Storage under refrigeration
How long pesto lasts safely under the refrigerator is also dependent on two major factors. The pesto sauce can be opened or unopened.
Unopened pesto under the refrigerator
- When pesto is purchased frozen and stored in the refrigerator, it can last for three weeks or 21 days while unopened, which can last longer to be consumed again.
- Purchased canned pesto can last from 28 to 42 days in the refrigerator.
- Powdered pesto mix can also last between 42 to 56 days when stored in the refrigerator.
Opened Pesto under refrigerator
However, purchased and opened pesto, homemade pesto, purchased canned pesto and pesto prepared from the dry mix when stored under refrigeration conditions can last for less than 14 days because it is best before the 14th day.
Storage under freezer
Unopened Pesto under freezer
- When pesto is purchased, unopened and stored in the freezer, it can last for as long as 8 months.
- Purchased canned pesto stored in the freezer, can last for 6 to 8 months.
- Powdered pesto mix stored in the freezer can last for 6 to 8 months.
- Purchased refrigerated pesto stored in the freezer can also last for as long as 6 to 8 months.
Opened Pesto under freezer
Unlike opened pesto stored under the refrigerator, opened pesto stored in the freezer could be eaten after 14 days.
- Specifically, opening homemade pesto stored in the freezer is best before 28 days.
- Opened purchased canned pesto is best from 21 days to 28 days.
- Both purchased refrigerated pesto and pesto prepared from dry mix can last for 21 days and 28 days when stored in the freezer respectively.
Is it safe to eat pesto after 14 days?
It is safe to eat pesto after 14 days depending on the storage conditions they were subjected to. Different types of pesto including canned, dry mixed and others stored in the freezer can be consumed after 14 days.
Similarly, pesto stored under refrigeration unopened can be consumed after 14 days. On the other hand, opened pesto stored under refrigeration should not be consumed as it can be unsafe.
How to tell if pesto is spoiled?
Foodborne disease can be avoided by following proper cleanliness and food safety procedures. When fresh or packaged pesto is exposed to air, it begins to brown on the top, which is not submerged in olive oil.
The olive oil of pesto keeps the basil fresh for longer, but once the olive oil or basil leaves turn brown, the flavour is compromised, and the pesto is no longer edible. This will produce a difference in flavour. When dry packed types are aged too long, they will turn brown instead of the appealing green tint.
How to store pesto to extend its shelf life?
Pesto that hasn’t been opened should be kept in the same container it came in at the store.
If the pesto was purchased in the refrigerator section, it should be stored refrigerated and if purchased from the shelf, it should be placed on your shelf.
All pesto should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator once it has been opened. It can be frozen and then defrosted in a basin of cold water or in the refrigerator overnight if packaged in freezer-safe containers. Food storage can help you eat healthier, save money on groceries, and help the environment by reducing waste.
In this blog we have discussed the question “can you eat pesto after 14 days”?. This article has discussed what pesto is, how long pesto can last under storage, is safe to eat pesto after 14 days, how to tell if pesto is spoiled and how to store pesto to extend its shelf life.