In this brief guide, we will answer the question “ can you eat peanut butter when pregnant?”. We will also learn about what pregnancy is. We will also discuss how peanut butter benefits pregnant women, the potential risks of eating peanut butter in pregnant women and the diverse ways to enjoy peanut butter in your dishes.
Can you eat peanut butter when pregnant?
Yes, you can eat peanut butter when pregnant. Peanut butter is nutrient packed and is essential in providing vital nutrition for the body to function properly. If only they are not allergic to peanuts and peanut containing products, then they can serve great health benefits when consumed.
What is pregnancy?
Pregnancy is the term used to describe the period in which a foetus develops inside the woman’s womb. The pregnancy period usually lasts for 40 weeks or 9 months as measured from the last menstrual period to delivery.
It is also the time when taste changes in numerous ways. Within this time, the things that usually did not sound good may suddenly become a craving and is so much desired. Usually, it is difficult for pregnant women to keep up with the dos and don’ts while coping with cravings.
Is it safe and healthy for pregnant women to eat peanut butter?
It is safe and even healthy for pregnant women to consume peanut butter. This is because peanut butter has many nutrients that the body requires for its proper functions.
Peanut butter is safe for pregnant women, as long as they don’t have a peanut allergy.
What is the nutrient composition of peanut butter?
Peanut butter is a high nutrient food and is complete to supply all the bodily nutrients required for proper functioning.
Peanut butter is rich in carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fibres, vitamins and minerals that are vital for building, maintaining and protecting. A two (2) tablespoon serving of peanut butter approximately contains 207 calories, 9 grams of proteins, 18 grams of fat, 6 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fibres and 1 gram of sugar.
What are the best types of peanut butter for pregnant women to eat?
Even though peanut butter in general is highly nutritious because of the single most important ingredient of peanuts, additional ingredients may potentially reduce the nutritional value of the peanuts. For this reason, it is best for pregnant women eating peanut butter to choose plain or natural peanut butter over those prepared with additives.
How does peanut butter benefit pregnant women?
Peanut butter is a high nutrient value food and serves many health benefits to its consumers. These health benefits are derived from the consumption of nutrient dense peanut butter.
- Peanut butter contains large and high amounts of healthy unsaturated fats which are linked to a reduction in the risk of developing heart problems.
- Peanut butter, although high in calories, is low in carbohydrates and is usually a better way to cut down on carbohydrates if they are experiencing gestational diabetes.
- Peanut butter, also rich in fibres, helps in improving digestion and regulation of bowels.
- Peanut butter proteins are plant based proteins with a low glycemic index. The proteins are needed for the growth and development that accompanies pregnancies.
What are the risks of eating peanut butter in pregnancy?
Although eating peanut butter during pregnancy is great due to the high nutritional profile of the butter, they also carry potential risks due to the raw materials used in its preparation.
- Raw peanuts are at risk of aflatoxin contamination because they are cultivated in the soil. Aflatoxin contamination of peanuts may cause significant health problems, liver cancers, impaired foetal development, pregnancy anaemia, pregnancy loss and premature delivery.
In what ways can peanut butter be enjoyed?
Peanut butter can be enjoyed in several different ways to reap its maximum nutrition. Below are some great ways to enjoy the peanut butter:
- Use peanut butter as a spread for lavash bread or whole grain toast and crackers.
- Use peanut butter as a dip for celery, pretzel sticks, and banana chips.
- Add a spoonful or more peanut butter to your fruit smoothies.
- Use peanut butter for thai sauce to add to your veggies and pasta dishes.
In this brief guide, we have answered the question “ can you eat peanut butter when pregnant?”. We have also learnt about what pregnancy is. We have also discussed how peanut butter benefits pregnant women and the potential risk of eating peanut butter in pregnant women and the ways to enjoy peanut butter in your meals.