In this brief article, we will discuss the question “ can you eat passion flower fruit?”. We will also answer some questions about what passion flower fruit is. We will also discuss the health benefits of eating passion flower fruits, allergic reactions from eating passion flower fruit and the culinary uses of passion flower fruits.
Can you eat passion flower fruit?
Yes, you can eat passion flower fruit. Passion flower fruit is edible and provides numerous nutritional and health benefits to your body when you eat them. From the pulp to the seeds, passion flower fruit can be consumed.
What is passion flower fruit?
Passion flower fruit is a nutritious tropical fruit of the Passiflora vine, a variant of passion flower plant. The fruit of passion flower plant is round or egg shaped in appearance with a tough outer rind and juicy centre filled with seeds. Different types of passion fruits are available and are produced from different species of plants.
What are the types of passion fruit?
Several varieties of passion flower fruits are available from different species of the Passiflora plant. Some varieties of the fruits even grow in subtropical climates regions of the world including Asia, Europe, Australia, and North and South America.
The most common varieties are the yellow (Passiflora flavicarpa) and purple skinned types (Passiflora edulis). Others include Possum purple, Panama red, Sweet sunrise, Whitman yellow varieties and more.
What is the history of passion flower fruit?
The first passion flower fruit was reported in Europe in the year 1553 by Cieza de Leon, a civil servant in Colombia who named it “granadilla” referring to small pomegranates. The variant was later named scientifically Passiflora ligularis.
What are the tips for eating passion fruits?
Even though the whole passion flower fruit is edible, some special tips should be considered to reap its maximum benefits.
- Always choose the passion fruit that feels heavy among the purple or yellow varieties and should have smooth or wrinkled skin. They must not have discolouration, bruising and green spots.
- Firstly, thoroughly wash the passion flower fruit with clean water to remove residual pesticides and bacteria.
- Then slice or cut open the rind of the fruit to expose the colourful, juicy flesh and seeds.
- The whole passion flower fruits together with their seeds are edible and can be enjoyed.
- A thin white film separating the rind from the flesh is equally edible but very bitter so they are mostly discarded.
How to store passion flower fruit?
When passion fruit is ripened and harvested, it can be stored for 2 weeks or more in plastic bags at relative humidity conditions of 85 to 90% at a temperature range of 41 to 54oF.
What are the health benefits of eating passion flower fruit?
Passion flower fruit is edible and they offer great satisfaction and several nutritional and health benefits when consumed. The varied health benefits of passion flower fruit arise from the abundant and diverse nutrients they contain. Some health benefits of eating passion flower fruits are:
- The passion fruits are rich in polyphenolic compounds that offer antioxidant protection to the body by scavenging free radicals that cause chronic diseases and fast ageing skin.
- Passion fruits contain minerals like iron and potassium that are essential to protecting the body.
- The passion fruits are also an abundant source of insoluble fibre that promotes intestinal function by enhancing enzyme activity and regular bowel movements.
Can passion flower fruit trigger allergies?
Although passion flower fruit is edible and safe for most people, it may, however, cause allergies in a few groups of people. The passion flower fruit contains some proteins that have similar structures to latex proteins. These proteins may trigger allergic reactions in people that appear to be allergic to them.
What are the culinary uses of passion flower fruit?
Although passion flower fruits are usually eaten raw by most people. They are equally applied in diverse food recipes and enjoyed later.
Some of the recipes prepared from passion flower fruits include passion fruit juice, passion fruit nectar, passion fruit puree, passion fruit jam, passion fruit tartlets, passion fruit popsicles, passion fruit sorbets, passion fruits margaritas, passion fruit smoothies and more.
In this brief article, we have discussed the question “ can you eat passion flower fruit?”. We have also answered some questions about what passion flower fruit is. Lastly, we discussed the health benefits of eating passion flower fruits, allergic reactions from eating passion flower fruit and the culinary uses of passion flower fruits.