Can you eat overripe brie?
In this brief guide, we will answer the question “Can you eat overripe brie?” and discuss how to tell if brie has gone bad. We will also discuss how long brie cheese lasts and list down ways to properly store it.
Can you eat overripe brie?
Yes, you can eat overripe brie but it will be too soft and may have a very strong odor. If you like it and you think you can enjoy it, then you can have it.
Although brie is soft cheese and like all soft cheeses, it has a short shelf life so it can go bad pretty quickly and has a short shelf life. So you should always look for signs of spoilage before having it so that you do not get sick.
How to tell if brie has gone bad?
It is important to look for any signs of spoilage before consuming brie to avoid risking getting sick. Here’s how you can tell if the brie cheese has gone bad.
- Look for any discolorations on the surface of the brie cheese.
- Check the surface texture for any changes always. If it appears off or gritty then it has gone bad.
- Look for growth of mold as well. Mold can appear as green, gray or bluish spots. It may even appear pink. If you do see mold, then you should throw out the cheese and not use it at all.
You should not cut off the moldy part and use the rest since brie is a soft cheese and it is very easy for microorganisms to penetrate it all the way through.
- Cheese is generally smelly but spoiled cheese will have a very rotten smell. Most often you will likely be able to tell it apart. So, give it a sniff test and see if it smells fine or off.
- As the cheese ages, it gets very mushy from the center. Usually, this is a sign of overripe cheese. If your cheese does not have any other signs of spoilage except the runny texture, then it is most probably safe to eat. You should go with your gut.
How long does brie last?
Brie is a soft cheese so it does not have a very long shelf life since the softer the cheese is, the easier it is for pathogens to invade it all the way through.
In general, brie cheese can last for about two weeks, whether opened or unopened and stored properly. When you buy brie cheese, look for the ‘best before’ label on it. This date depicts the amount of time brie cheese will last in its peak quality.
After this time, it does not necessarily mean that the cheese has gone bad but it may start to lose its quality as it continues to age. Brie cheese can stay safe to eat for a week or two past its ‘best before’ date if it’s stored properly and has no signs of spoilage.
How to properly store brie?
It is important to store brie cheese properly to make it last and retain its flavor. If you have unopened brie cheese, then keep it in its original packaging in the fridge.
Opened brie cheese should also be kept in the fridge but first it should be wrapped tightly so that it does not come in contact with moisture or air. The ideal way to wrap it is in parchment paper rather than plastic wrap so that the flavor remains intact.
Keep it away from the fridge door, preferably at the back shelf of the fridge to avoid temperature fluctuations.
Learn if you can freeze brie cheese or not here.
Other FAQs about brie cheese that you may be interested in.
Can you eat brie without cooking it?
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you eat overripe brie?” and discussed how to tell if brie has gone bad. We also discussed how long brie cheese lasts and listed down ways to properly store it.