Can you eat nougat when pregnant?
In the following text, we will get to know if you can eat nougat when pregnant. How nougat is made, the nutritional value of nougat, and we will further discuss the health benefits along with health risks of eating nougat while being pregnant.
Can you eat nougat when pregnant?
You have a strong need for sweets while pregnant. It is also to be kept in mind that eating sugars during pregnancy is not a healthy eating option. YES, you can eat nougat while being pregnant but certain recommendations must be followed.
If you are limiting your sugar intake due to any reason like gestational diabetes and weight management in pregnancy because nougat contains 83 g of sugar in 100 g of serving.
This makes it rich in carbohydrates and the proper serving size should be adjusted to eating nougat during pregnancy.
You are allowed to eat nougat during pregnancy at occasional times. According to the NHS UK recommendations, nougat should be avoided in pregnancy.
How is nougat made?
Nougat is a Mediterranean-origin confection made by mixing nuts and fruit pieces with sugar paste. Its original recipe contains honey, almonds, or other nuts beaten into egg whites and then sundried. Vegetable oil and coconut oil are usually added to nougat to improve its texture.
Nougat is prepared by heating honey and the egg albumin in a way that egg albumin does not coagulate. Then it is hardened by heating it and it is brought up to its right consistency which can be either soft or chewy or hard but crispy.
What is the nutritional value of nougat?
The main ingredients of nougat are egg whites, sugar, nuts, and some fruits. 100 g of nougat contains the following nutrients
|Total Fat||1.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.3 g|
Are there any health benefits of eating nougat in pregnancy?
Everything you eat while pregnant is eaten by your developing kid. So you should keep in mind this fact and choose your food wisely. Nougat contains almonds, pistachios and cashews along with sugar and some candied fruits.
Nuts present in nougat contain several healthy compounds like antioxidants, vitamin E, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Antioxidants help to combat free radicals, and this prevents the body from heart diseases, cancer, and several metabolic disorders.
- Eating nuts are very healthy for pregnant mothers as they provide important fatty acids, proteins, fibres, and vitamins.
- The presence of omega-3 fatty acids in nuts helps to control your blood pressure and it also keeps away the risk of heart problems and stroke.
- Vitamin E helps in removing free radicals because it acts as a strong antioxidant.
- Calcium is present in nuts which helps in making your bones and teeth strong.
- Potassium can be obtained in a variety of foods and as a supplement. Along with sodium, potassium helps in the maintenance of fluids in the human body.
Does nougat have any health risks for pregnant mothers and their children?
The main problem with eating nougat is its sugar. According to theNational InstituteHealthalth, about 7 in every 100 pregnant mothers suffer from gestational diabetes in America. Sugar has the following health risks for mother and foetus both.
- It increases blood sugar levels which is bad for gestational diabetes.
- Too much sugar causes you to gain weight. Gestational weight gain is not good for mother and baby both.
- There is a high risk of salmonella infection as nougat contains uncooked eggs.
- Pregnancy complications like preeclampsia, gestational weight gain, and preterm birth can occur due to the regular intake of nougat.
- According to research , sugar intake in pregnancy has been found to increase the obesity risk in newborns.
- In a study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers discovered a link between women drinking various sweetened beverages (including diet sodas) during pregnancy and their children’s reduced cognitive abilities.
- Sugar can lead to dental decay and cavities thus compromising your dental health.
Decreasing the intake of your sugar is beneficial for the health of mother and child both. When you have cravings go for low sugar alternatives that ADA recommends like vegetables, cheese, and unsweetened yoghurt.
In the above text, we got to know if you can eat nougat when pregnant. How nougat is made, the nutritional value of nougat, and we further discussed the health benefits along with health risks of eating nougat while being pregnant.