Can you eat moldy cheese?

In this brief guide, we will discuss the following question, “can you eat moldy cheese?”, and other queries related to this topic.

Can you eat moldy cheese? 

Yes, you can eat moldy cheese. However, it depends on the type of cheese, hard and semi-hard cheese like cheddar and parmesan can be consumed when the moldy part has been removed. Because bacteria and mold can not penetrate within the cheese like in soft cheese. 

So, if soft cheese, shredded and crumbled cheese gets spoiled and develops mold, it should be discarded. Moreover, to safely consume moldy hard and semi-hard cheese, cut at least one inch or 2.5 centimeters around the mold spot. 

Additionally, some types of cheese already have mold and the presence of mold gives these cheeses a special taste and aromas like blue cheese and Roquefort. Hence, people suffering from allergies should avoid consuming such types of cheese in order to avoid side effects. 

Besides, pregnant women and children should also avoid cheeses that are made with mold, because they already developed toxins and spoil. These compounds are harmful to health, and when ingesting contaminated cheeses you might get sick, intoxicated, and poisoned.

Generally, to have a moldy cheese manufacturers add some enzymes to their milk, so the final result depends on different factors such as the type of milk used, the bacteria added, the length of aging, and processing methods. 

Furthermore, to differentiate between cheese that is already moldy due to the processing method and bad cheese, you need to smell it after purchasing and after it has gone bad. The change in aromas indicates the spoilage of your cheese.

What is mold?

Mold is a type of fungi that develops and spreads on several kinds of food and it can also lead to spores production that can be transferred through the air to other locations. Moreover, mold can be transferred through water and insects. 

Once the spores have been transferred into another location where the temperature is adequate and the nutrients in the environment are appropriate they will proliferate into new colonies. Furthermore, there are many types of mold and they can be found everywhere indoors in the fridge for example, or outdoors in the environment.

So exposure to mold might be difficult and unavoidable since mold is present everywhere. Moreover, some spoiled food might not develop clear signs of spoilage despite being contaminated with bacteria, spores, and toxins.

How does cheese get moldy?

Some types of cheese naturally contain mold due to the fermentation and the production process so this mold gives the cheese a unique texture, taste, and aroma. However, mold can develop on any type of cheese due to inappropriate storage.

Generally, cheese kept in the refrigerator is most likely to form mold on its surface. Hence, temperature fluctuation, air exposure, and humidity in the refrigerator are also some factors that lead to mold development within the cheese and any other products.

How can I prevent cheese from molding?

First of all, to prevent cheese from molding you should ensure you are buying a good quality cheese, that has a long expiry date and does not have any sign of mold or spoilage like yellow and yellow spots or signs of deteriorated packaging. 

Furthermore, if you are buying mold-grown cheese like Roquefort and blue cheese take a look at the blue veins inside the cheese, if their color has turned green do not buy it, and also check the presence of any fuzzy spots. Additionally, if you notice the color of the cheese is weird do not buy it.


Moreover, the best method to preserve your cheese for a longer time is by storing it in the refrigerator at low temperatures in an air-tight container or by wrapping it with plastic paper to reduce its contact with the air and thus its hardening.

What happens if you eat moldy cheese?

Eating a small bite of moldy cheese will not affect your health and will not make you sick. However, rarely you will get sick if you ate spoiled and moldy cheese without noticing. Because usually, the taste and the smell of the cheese will get bad and unpalatable.

So, the symptoms that the person might develop are as follows: diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, and sometimes allergic reaction. All these symptoms are due to the toxins secreted by the bacteria and their spores.

People with respiratory problems are the most affected by an allergic reaction. In addition, chronic exposure to mycotoxins can lead to liver damage, immunity problems, and cancer.

Conclusion


In this brief guide, we will discuss the following question, “can you eat moldy cheese?”, and other queries related to this topic.

References

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7960395/is-it-safe-to-eat-moldy-cheese/
https://www.southernliving.com/food/dairy/cheese/can-you-eat-moldy-cheese
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/moldy-cheese#bottom-line

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.