In this short article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat menthol crystals?”. We will also elaborate on some beneficial uses of menthol crystals and the harmful effects of ingesting menthol crystals.
Can you eat menthol crystals?
No, you can not eat menthol crystals. Though in the past, people have had been using menthol crystals to treat a variety of medical conditions, recently it has been found that menthol crystals are generally not safe to ingest as they come with a lot of side effects.
What are menthol crystals?
Menthol crystals are actually the solid phase of the peppermint essential oil, and they really do resemble crystals. Menthol crystals are tiny, clear, brittle, crystalline substances that are most commonly found in muscle creams, toothpaste, capsules, soap etc.
Menthol can be naturally found in the Mentha arvensis plant, which belongs to the main Mint family that is used to get menthol crystals and also natural menthol flakes.
Menthol crystals are colourless or white in their actual state at room temperature. These crystals are solid yet small, brittle, glossy crystalline with a slippery surface.
Why is menthol not safe to ingest?
When you ingest menthol crystals, they react with the fatty acids found in the body, producing ethanol or ethanolamine, a highly potent CNS depressant. When this happens, the mind is activated and the person feels ecstatic and calm.
However, when the impact of menthol crystals fade away, it generates stress, spasms, queasiness and diarrhoea.
Cancer patients who are resistant to chemotherapy normally use menthol crystals as it soothes the nerves and give the patient a relaxed feeling.
But, in recent researches, it has been shown that the adverse impacts of menthol crystals when used as a therapeutic material are not only confined to mental issues but also spreads to physical complications such as gut problems, respiratory issues, skin irritability, constipation, diarrhoea and vomiting, spasms, and also liver and kidney diseases.
Those who live in an environment where they come in contact with high quantities of menthol should seek immediate medical attention.
Even little quantities can lead to massive problems and therefore the requirement to consult a doctor directly if one feels sick due to the ingestion of menthol crystals.
It is best to ask a doctor prior to taking any kind of herbal medicine as the individual may not take the right dose and it could be lethal for him.
Many individuals take pure menthol as a beverage as it has a pleasant taste and it helps to calm the mind of a person.
However, it is better not to use menthol crystals to aid sleep as it has the strength to weaken the brain of the person. It is always good to seek advice from the doctor and discover the dose that is safe for an individual.
What are the safe uses of menthol crystals?
Apart from ingesting menthol, there are many other ways to get the most of menthol. Here we have prepared a long list to safely add menthol to your routine.
- Menthol can be used for reducing itchiness and sunburns when combined with a carrier oil or aloe vera gel.
- You can also blend menthol crystals into your favourite hair oil to promote hair growth. For this purpose, add a tiny amount into the oil and massage onto your scalp before taking a shower, two times per week.
- Menthol crystals can provide great benefits when added to soap recipes.
- They can also be used to get rid of nausea, particularly when it is caused by motion sickness as it has the ability to calm the digestive system.
- When menthol crystals are added to air fresheners they give a very pleasant minty fragrance without any toxic element. The fragrance can be used to relieve stress, anxiety, and agitation.
- You can also use menthol crystals as a natural pesticide around honey bee hives to prevent mites, moths, and other insects in the garden.
- Another great advantage of menthol crystal is that it helps to reduce fever and inflammation from sore throat. To reduce fever, you can place a very little amount of menthol crystals on your forehead or bottom of your feet, while to treat inflammation apply it all over your neck.
- Menthol crystals are also effectively used to relieve tension and headaches. You just need to apply them over your temples, cheekbones, collar bone, and below the nose some time before sleeping. It will not only help to ease the stress but also help with trivial kinds of congestion.
Considering its strength, make sure to dilute the crystals in sweet almond oil, jojoba, or other suitable skin oil and do not let them get into your eyes.
In this short article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can you eat menthol crystals?”. We have also elaborated on some beneficial uses of menthol crystals and the harmful effects of ingesting menthol crystals.