In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat kiwi seeds?”. Apart from this, we will discuss the nutritional content of kiwi seeds, different recipes of kiwi seeds, as well as some advantages and disadvantages of kiwi seeds.
Can you eat kiwi seeds?
Yes, we can eat kiwi seeds. In fact, kiwi seeds provide a lot of nutrients when we consume them. Although some people like to remove seeds from kiwi fruit, this is not compulsory as there is no harm in eating kiwi seeds.
The taste of kiwi seeds
If we talk about the taste of kiwi seeds, it feels like a mixture of banana, strawberry and pineapple. The dull brown skin of kiwi seeds is covered in short, stiff hair.
Why does kiwi contain so many seeds?
The majority of kiwi seeds have about 1,000 seeds which are of small size. These seeds give the fruit an interesting and crunchy texture. The reason why growers want to have a lot of seeds in kiwi fruit is that kiwi seeds enhance the size of kiwi fruit. Kiwi fruit can produce numerous seeds in case a kiwifruit flower is well pollinated.
The nutritional content of kiwi seeds
Kiwi seed contains plenty of nutrients. Following are some nutrients that can be availed by eating kiwi seeds
Different recipes in which kiwi seeds are used
Kiwi seeds can be used for making various dishes. Following are some dishes in which kiwi seeds can be used as an ingredient.
- Easy banana kiwi seed smoothie: Firstly all the ingredients are collected. Ingredients include kiwi seeds, non-dairy milk, chia seeds, nuts, seed butter, avocado and banana.
All these ingredients are placed in a blender. After placing ingredients in a blender, mix them at high speed and we will keep on blending them until it becomes smooth. It must be served immediately.
- Kiwi, Sunflower Seed & Banana Swirl: After peeling the banana we will break it into a blender. By using a teaspoon kiwi fruit is halved and flesh is scooped into a blender. Orange juice is squeezed into a blender.
Some ice cubes are added along with coconut water. These are blitzed until they become smooth and get combined. In case if extra nutty flavour is required then sunflower seeds must be toasted in a dry pan for about two to three minutes.
- Kiwi muffins: After preheating the oven to 400 degrees muffin tins are lined with paper cupcake liners. Flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon & baking powder are mixed in a large bowl. Eggs, vanilla and milk are beaten together in a large bowl.
Dry ingredients are mixed slowly in it. And then these are folded in chipped kiwi. Spoon mixture into a cupcake liner & fill them to the top. Sprinkle with the raw sugar. It is baked for about twenty-five minutes. Once muffins become slightly brown it means these are done.
The benefits of kiwi seeds
Following are some benefits of kiwi seeds
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Kiwi seeds contain enough omega 3 fatty acids. These are very good for brain and heart health. In case we don’t get enough of omega 3 fatty acids, the risk for inflammation, cancer and heart diseases enhance.
- Contains fibre: Getting enough fibre in your diet may help lower your risk of high cholesterol, haemorrhoids, constipation, heart disease and diverticulosis. Fibre can also help you feel full longer, making it easier to maintain a healthy weight.
- Protein and antioxidants: By consuming kiwi seeds we can obtain protein and antioxidants. Protein is very essential to provide amino acids to our body. Antioxidants obtained from kiwi seeds are mostly in the form of vitamin E which is an essential vitamin.
- Potential anti-cancer effects: Kiwi seeds have potential anti-cancer effects. Antioxidants present in kiwi seeds protect us from the risks of many types of cancer.
Disadvantages of kiwi seeds
Although kiwi seeds have many advantages, along with these advantages there are also some disadvantages of kiwi seeds. Following are some disadvantages of kiwi seeds
- Can act as an allergen: In case someone is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, kiwi seeds can also act as an allergen in those people. Kiwi seeds contain two types of allergens that show cross-reactivity with peanuts and tree nuts. When we digest kiwi seeds, then these allergens are released.
- Bleeding disorders: Kiwi seeds can slow down the process of blood clotting. In theory, kiwi might make bleeding disorders worse
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Can you eat kiwi seeds?”. Apart from this, we have discussed the nutritional content of kiwi seeds, different recipes of kiwi seeds, as well as some advantages and disadvantages of kiwi seeds.