In this brief article, we will address the query, “Can you ice cream when you have a cold?”. Apart from this, we will also discuss the nutritional profile of ice cream, different recipes in which ice cream is used, and the benefits of eating ice cream during a cold.
Can you eat ice cream when you have a cold?
Yes, according to some studies you can eat ice cream when you have a cold. In fact. It is good to eat ice cream while you have a cold, as the ice cream helps to soothe sore throats and also decrease inflammation.
But you should keep in mind that only a small quantity of ice cream is good while you have a cold, as ice cream in large quantities can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of the immune system.
Taste of ice cream
Ice cream has a sweet flavour. It is mostly flavoured with fruit, spices, and candy. The flavour of ice cream determines its colour.
For instance, the colour of chocolate ice cream is brown, strawberry ice cream has pink colour, pistachio flavoured ice cream is green, and the colour of cherry flavoured ice cream is pink. The texture of ice cream is smooth which depends mainly on its quality.
The nutritional content of ice cream
Following are some of the nutrients found in ice cream:
Types of ice cream
Following are the six main types of ice cream:
- Mochi ice cream: Mochi ice cream is very famous all across the world. Premium ice cream is taken and is wrapped in tasty and real mocha dough. Due to this, we can leave the spoon, and this ice cream can be taken wherever we go.
- Gelato: Gelato ice cream was first introduced in Italy. To produce gelato ice cream, whole milk is required along with other elements of ordinary ice cream. Added cream is not needed for it. Because of this, the proportion of milk fat is much less in gelato ice cream as contrasted to regular ice cream.
- Frozen yoghurt: Lately, this type of ice cream has obtained much popularity. Although some of the constituents of frozen yoghurt are the same as traditional ice cream, the proportion of fat is much lower. Due to the presence of yoghurt in it, it has a tart flavour.
- Sorbet: The amount of dairy in sorbet is nearly negligible. As frozen berries and sweetened water is utilized while making sorbet, so its texture is very light and so is its flavour.
- Sherbet: Sherbet has much likeness to sorbet. It is a fruit-based frozen dessert but it also includes dairy. Fruit juice, milk or cream, egg whites, and in some circumstances, gelatin are used to make sherbet.
Different recipes in which ice cream is used as an ingredient
Ice cream can be used in making different dishes. Following are some recipes in which ice cream is used as an ingredient
- Vanilla ice cream: Vanilla beans are boiled over medium flame in a small saucepan. After some time vanilla beans are taken out and the seeds of the bean are scraped. Egg yolks are beaten in stainless steel by using a wire whisk. In case lumps are formed, the mixture is strained before heating.
Custard is removed from the heat and is stirred for a few minutes. Custard is firstly cooled to room temperature and then it is refrigerated for several hours.
- Ice cream rolls: After heating the base of the ice cream roll, Oreo cookies are submerged into hot ice cream. Next, the ice cream is rolled and then grabbed with some tongs and placed in a chilled bowl.
The benefits of eating ice cream
Following are some benefits of ice cream:
- Source of vitamins: Many vitamins can be obtained from consuming ice cream which is good for health.
- Prevents cancer: Ice protects us from cancer by reducing the risk of cancer.
Disadvantages of ice cream
Following are some disadvantages
- Weight gain: Ice cream consists of a lot of calories so it can result in weight gain.
- High in sugar: A lot of sugar is present in ice cream which can make us suffer from diabetes.
- Low amount of nutrients: Ice cream is composed of negligible amounts of nutrients and hence is not much good to promote a healthy lifestyle.
In this brief article, we have addressed the query, “Can you ice cream when you have a cold?”. Aside from this, we have also discussed the nutritional content of ice cream, different recipes in which ice cream is used, and the benefits of ice cream.