In this article we are going to answer, Can you eat Guzman y Gomez when pregnant, what is Guzman y Gomez, is it healthy to eat at Guzman y Gomez when pregnant, what happens if I overeat at Guzman y Gomez when pregnant and what items of the menu of Guzman y Gomez are the best healthy option.
Can you eat Guzman y Gomez when pregnant?
Yes, you can eat Guzman y Gomez when pregnant. They have very healthy options for you to add to your healthy diet. Not all the menu suits to be eaten every day but you can make good options.
Guzman y Gomez can be considered a fast food healthy restaurant so moderation is a good option.
According to the NHS, when you are pregnant there is no need to eat for two. Try to have healthy meals with varied food instead of cutting out your favorites.
What is Guzman y Gomez?
Guzman y Gomez is a multinational casual dining and fast food restaurant chain in Australia. They are specialists in Mexican cuisine like tacos, quesadillas, burritos, and other Mexican-inspired items.
They were started back in 2006 by two new yorkers, Steven Marks and Robert Hazan. They operate more than 150 restaurants in Japan, Singapore, and the United States.
Guzman y Gomez franchise operates in Singapore, Australia, Japan, and the United States.
They reinvented the fast-food category of Mexican food by serving high-quality real food. Guzman y Gomez’s commitment to reinventing fast food continues to inspire new ways to serve fresh, clean food to everyone.
They serve fast food as no other fast-food restaurant serves. In 2019 their whole menu changed to 100% clean with the slogan clean is the new healthy campaign. This means no added preservatives, no artificial flavors, no added colors, and no unacceptable additives in food.
Is it healthy to eat Guzman y Gomez when pregnant?
Yes, you can add Guzman y Gomez to your healthy diet. They use clean ingredients that are a healthy plus to your diet but there is still a fast-food restaurant. It is all in the choices you make on the menu.
Instead of burritos, you can choose bowls and salads that have fewer calories, fat, and carbohydrates overall. Just watch out for sodium. Almost all their menu is considered high sodium if you eat the whole portion.
In general, when pregnant you should follow a healthy diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. A few nutrients need special attention during pregnancy, like folic acid, calcium, vitamin D, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Ideally, 2 servings of fruit and 5 servings of vegetables every day
- Increase your intake of whole grains and cereal foods. Choose high fiber options
- Milk, hard cheese, and yogurt are great options because they are high calcium foods.
- Choose low-fat options and good fats: fats from vegetable sources like almonds, olive oil, and avocado.
- Choose lean proteins and choose low mercury fish options.
- Drink plenty of water
- Always stay active
- Avoid junk food whenever possible, it should not be part of regular meals
- Check the labels before buying processed food to make the best option
- Avoid buying canned food with syrup, look for canned food with plain/spring water or olive oil.
- Avoid pre-cooked or ready meals
- Choose low-fat options
- Avoid food with added sugars
- Avoid processed/undercooked meat
- Skip fast-food restaurants, instead, try to do healthy meals at home
Weight gain should be closely monitored because the mother and baby’s health depends on it.
This is a table that can guide you on how much weight you should gain. Remember, that dieting while pregnant is very dangerous. It is very important to always include all food groups. Just limit your intake of sugar and junk food.
|BMI at beginning of pregnancy (kg/m2)||Recommended weight gain during pregnancy (kg)|
|18.5 underweight||12.5 -18.0 kg|
|18.5 – 24.9 healthy||11.15 – 16 kg|
|25.0 -29.9 overweight||7.0 – 11.5 kg|
|more than 30 overweight||5.0 – 9.0 kg|
What happens if I overeat at Guzman y Gomez when pregnant?
Fast food can lead to rapid weight gain because of its sugar, calorie, fat, and sodium content. The consumption of more fast food than healthy food can be fatal to pregnant women because it can interfere with proper fetal development.
Even if Guzman y Gomez is considered a healthy fast-food restaurant with clean ingredients, meaning it is better to eat here than in any other fast food restaurant. A lot of their dishes are still high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates.
If you gain too much weight during pregnancy there are several complications mom and baby can suffer.
- Gestational Diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Complications during birth
- Baby health
You can develop gestational diabetes, a condition where glucose or sugar in the blood is way too high and insulin can’t work correctly. You may need to take medication and the mother can develop diabetes even after the baby is born.
High Blood pressure
You can develop eclampsia and preeclampsia. Both can lead to mother and baby complications and even death.
Complications during birth
If you gain too much weight it’s more likely that you end up in cesarean because vaginal birth tends to be more difficult with excess weight. Also, babies of mothers who gain too much weight are usually bigger. It can also lead to premature birth.
Moms that gain too much weight tend to have babies with high birth weight and these babies have more risk of being obese and developing diabetes when older. The lack of nutrients in junk food can interfere with proper organ development.
Babies of moms that didn’t follow a healthy diet during pregnancy have more risk of behavior disorders like depression, attention deficit disorder, and poor learning. Also, a lack of nutrients in a mother’s diet has been connected with autism.
What items on the menu of Guzman y Gomez are the best healthy options?
Based on the nutritional information on their website, here are the best and unhealthier options you can choose on the Guzman y Gomez menu. This is based on the portion they display on their website.
Best items on their menu
- Quesadillas: almost all their quesadillas are a good option in fat, carbohydrates, and calories. Just try to avoid mild shredded mushrooms, spicy ground beef and pulled pork and spicy shredded mushrooms, and slow-cooked beef.
- Salads are an excellent option
- Bowls are better than burritos, you cut some calories and sodium.
- The best side options are brown rice, guacamole, and pico de gallo.
Unhealthier options on the menu
- Nachos and nachos fries, too high in calories and sodium
- Burritos, if you can, eat half the portion and eat a salad with it.
- Fries are too high in calories and fat
- Corn chip
- Churros with dulce de leche
This article answered Can you eat Guzman y Gomez when pregnant, what is Guzman y Gomez, is it healthy to eat at Guzman y Gomez when pregnant, what happens if I overeat at Guzman y Gomez when pregnant and what items on the menu of Guzman y Gomez are the best healthy option.