In this guide we will address the query, “ can you eat fruits on a keto diet?” We will also discuss what is the keto diet? fruits to avoid and which fruits can be eaten while following the keto diet.
Can you eat fruits on a keto diet?
Yes, you can eat fruits while you are on a keto diet, but they should contain fewer carbohydrates (carbs), as keto diets consist of the consumption of low-carb, high-fat foods. Most people tend to avoid fruits on a keto diet but worry not as few fruits can be enjoyed without hampering the keto diet.
What is the keto diet?
The ketogenic/Keto diet consists of the consumption of low carbohydrates food and high-fat foods. People following a keto diet avoid easily digesting carbohydrates like white bread, sugar, soda, etc.
The Keto diet helps in weight loss and management of certain medical conditions. It is beneficial for people suffering from heart disease, epilepsy, polycystic ovarian syndrome, brain injuries, etc.
It is also beneficial for improving the metabolic health of the body.
Weight loss in the keto diet happens because of the natural metabolic state of ketosis. When the body goes into ketosis it uses fats for energy instead of carbohydrates which leads to weight loss. The Keto diet is a short-term diet that focuses on weight loss and hence can help you lose more weight.
Which fruits to avoid on a keto diet?
While following a keto diet it is necessary to avoid fruits containing high carbohydrates as they can hinder the diet. Which fruits to include depends upon an individual’s goals, but we recommend avoiding the following fruits on a keto diet :
Which fruits can you eat on a keto diet?
Following are the fruits which can be consumed on a keto diet, but remember to have them in moderation and according to your set goals.
- Tomato – Yes! It is a fruit. It contains 3.9 grams of total carbs per 100 grams and is one of the best choices.
- Strawberries- They contain less than 8 grams of total carbs per 100 grams and hence are a keto-friendly option.
- Cranberries – Try to avoid dried cranberries as they contain more carbs or consume them in smaller portions. They contain 12.2 grams of total carbs per 100 grams.
- Blackberries – They are high in fibre and contain 6 grams of total carbs per 100 grams.
- Cantaloupe – It contains 4 grams of total carbs per 100 grams.
- Watermelon – It is considered keto-friendly as it does not contain much fibre and has 7 grams of total carbs per 100 grams.
- Avocados – Avocados are often considered vegetables but technically they are fruits. They contain 9 grams of total carbs per 100 grams.
- Lemons – They contain 9 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Limes – Adding a squeeze of lime juice can make your drinks or recipes full of flavour. They contain 11 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Peaches – They are low in carbohydrates but sweeter in taste. They contain 9 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Blueberries – They contain more carbohydrates than other berries, but can be added to a keto diet in moderation. For per 100 grams they contain 14 grams of total carbohydrates.
- Mulberries – They contain 15 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams and should be added in a moderate amount.
- Star fruit – It is a good source of fibre and contains 7 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Zucchini – It contains 3 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams and is high in antioxidants. It also promotes healthy digestion.
- Coconut – Coconuts are high in fat and fibre and contain 15 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Plum – Plums contain 11 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Cucumbers – Cucumbers contain high amounts of water and soluble fibre which helps in weight loss. They contain 3 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- Oranges – Oranges are a good source of fibre and Vitamin C and contain less amount of fat and protein. They contain 13 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams.
Other FAQs about Fruits that you may be interested in.
In this guide we have addressed the query “ can you eat fruit on a keto?”. We have also discussed what is a keto diet? fruits to avoid on a keto, and fruits you can eat on a keto diet. Hope you find this blog useful. If you have any queries let us know.