In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can you eat fish with yogurt?” We will also discuss what foods should not be eaten with any of these foods, and if there are some health implications.
Can you eat fish with yogurt?
Yes, you can eat fish with yogurt. There is no scientific evidence that any health issues are triggered by the combination of fish and yogurt. But, according to Ayurvedic principles, mixing these ingredients can be prejudicial.
It is safe to combine yogurt with fish, contrary to the popular myth, you will not get any spots on your skin as it was said. Science does not encourage this belief by any means. The worst that can occur when you combine these foods is to have indigestion, and that only affects a few of the population.
Why are fish and milk thought to be dangerous for your health?
According to the Ayurvedic principles, viruddha ahara foods are the wrong food combinations. But, why are they wrong? Well, the followers of Ayurveda say that bad food combos can lead to symptoms like:
- Altered digestion.
- You will not obtain adequate nourishment.
- Channel obstruction.
- Ama accumulation. It means toxins tend to accumulate because of poor dietary choices.
- Vitiation of dhatus. It means that your body gets over-nourished, which causes an increase in volume due to the lack of digestive strength and poor nutrient absorption.
Now, we will try to understand what is the substance behind the Ayurvedic principles, we will provide you with some Ayurveda basics.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is the term used to refer to an ancient healing system that was developed about 3000 years ago. This system originated in India and its foundation is based on the idea that the key to good health, mind, body, and spirit is no other than the daily diet.
It is currently classified as alternative medicine, whose goal is to promote good health, it has no issue fighting diseases. Ayurveda followers say that whenever a poor food combination is consumed, you will get sick.
And as diet is the main point in human health, according to the Ayurvedic principles, an imbalance in diet can have consequences on your whole body with all its systems. This imbalance is not only caused by poor food combos but:
- Genetics. Your genetic information also plays a major role in this belief.
What are the Ayurvedic principles?
To get the most benefits for your health and avoid getting sick you need to attend to Ayurveda principles, such as:
- Consume foods appropriate for your body and mind constitution.
- Do not alter the natural course of digestion. Three meals are recommended each day, to keep your stomach free of stress, no snacks should be consumed in between meals.
- Avoid feeling full, eat until satisfied instead. Overeating can be prejudicial for your health and can cause weight gain and trigger the aging process.
- Consume more fresh foods instead of ultra-processed foods. Besides supporting local commerce, you will get the most benefits from eating fresher foods.
What can happen if you eat virudha food?
First, what does virudha mean? It refers to any food or beverage that combined with other food results in an imbalance in your body, alters digestion, and also leads to the production of toxins.
Under this belief, fish and yogurt are considered incompatible foods, and their combination can end in the previously listed consequences.
What foods should be avoided according to Ayurvedic principles?
Attending to the Ayurvedic principles, some food combinations we need to avoid are:
- Milk and sour foods.
- Milk with vegetables.
- Beef with milk or honey.
- Bananas with yogurt or buttermilk.
- Avoid combining mushrooms with shrimp, buttermilk, and mustard oil.
- Pineapple and milk are contradictory items, just like pineapple with urad dal, honey, ghee, and yogurt.
- Fish and meat.
- Do not cook fish and meat altogether.
- Avoid cooking different types of meat together.
- Do not drink water immediately after eating peanuts.
According to Ayurveda, fish should not be eaten along with:
- Black gram.
- Germinated grains
It was believed for a long time that these combinations can cause vitiligo or other skin diseases.
If you want further guidance on this subject, please click here.
Can you eat yogurt with everything?
Yogurt is such an easy option to eat at any time, it provides you with protein, probiotics, and minerals. There are so many options to choose from, with or without fruit, with cereals, flavored yogurt is a versatile food.
However, because of yogurt’s fermented nature, it is not recommended to pair yogurt with_
- Hot drinks
- Sour fruits
There is no scientific evidence that supports these claims, so feel free to eat whatever you want as long as it is not harmful to you.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “can you eat fish with yogurt?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.