In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can you eat fig newtons with GERD?” We will also discuss what GERD is, what are its causes, and how diet can affect the GERD symptoms.
Can you eat fig newtons with GERD?
Yes, you can eat fig newtons with GERD. However, you should not eat a lot of these treats as Fig newtons can provide you with 12 g of sugar, that for only two cookies is a high amount of sugar. That is a lot!
So, if you want to treat yourself one day with this dessert, we recommend you to keep your sugar intake that day as low as possible, as fig newtons can provide you with half of the daily recommended allowance of sugar if you are a woman, and over a third for men.
What is GERD?
GERD stands for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and is a condition that currently affects about 20% of adults in western culture, according to official data. So, millions of people not only suffer from GERD symptoms but also affect their economy.
As stated by the Montreal definition, GERD is a disease that causes irritating symptoms and several complications as a result of stomach acids traveling back up into the esophagus, causing a burning sensation in people’s chests.
All adult people in the world have at least once experienced acid reflux effects. The thing with GERD is that acid reflux occurs at least once a week. If it happens more than once a week, it is considered mild acid reflux.
What causes GERD?
Several factors can cause GERD development, some of the most common are:
- Transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation. This refers to a mechanism that inhibits the venting of gas from the stomach, and it happens without swallowing! It has been reported as the principal mechanism in patients with GERD.
- Hiatal hernia. Occurs because of the weakness of the esophageal sphincter.
- Delayed gastric emptying. Your stomach will not empty properly, and its acids would travel back up into the esophagus.
- Impaired esophageal clearance. This can occur when you are sleeping, which is why it is not recommended to eat heavily before going to bed!
What are GERD symptoms?
You may suspect you have GERD if you exhibit some of the following symptoms:
- Heartburn. If you feel your chest burning after eating, it can worsen at night.
- Chest pain.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Regurgitation of food. You can feel a sour liquid in your mouth, very unpleasant and also leaves a horrific taste!
- Chronic cough
- Disrupted sleep
If you experience these symptoms often, and can not live without medication for heartburn, it is time to visit a doctor to attend to your condition.
What is the recommended diet for people with GERD?
Acid reflux can be prevented when consuming certain foods, such as:
- High-fiber foods. Will decrease the chances of overeating, reducing the possibility of heartburn.
- Brown rice.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Green beans.
- Alkaline foods. To decrease the acidity of your stomach you need to avoid consuming acidic food, look for foods with higher pH, such as:
- Watery foods. Increasing your consumption of water can help to dilute stomach acids, reducing acid reflux:
- Herbal tea.
If you want to read more about GERD and its effects, please click here.
What are fig newtons?
Fig newtons are pastries filled with fig jam, and they are trademarked by Nabisco. They were created in 1891 and since then they have gained a lot of popularity because of the nutritional benefits of figs, and their exquisite taste!
Are fig newtons healthy?
Fig newtons are processed industrially, which means tons of sugars were added to them, which causes them to be not as healthy as they seem. However, figs indeed provide us with several nutrients, so we can say you can still get a few health benefits.
The serving size of fig newtons is two cookies, and they provide the following nutrients:
What desserts can you consume with GERD?
Having GERD does not mean you can not consume delicious food or desserts. So, we will provide you with a list of several desserts GERD-friendly:
- Hard candy.
- Low-fat cookies.
- Sponge cake.
- Angel food cake.
- Low-fat ice cream.
- Frozen yogurt.
If you have any doubt about certain foods, it is better to ask your doctor for their advice. Remember this blog does not substitute medical attention.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “can you eat fig newtons with GERD?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.