Can you eat fertilized eggs?

In this article, we will answer the question “Can you eat fertilized eggs?”, and what are the common myths and facts about fertilized eggs?

Can you eat fertilized eggs?

Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs. Some people may be grossed out by this statement but there is no noticeable flavor difference between the fertilized and unfertilized eggs. 

Unlike popular opinion, there is n significant nutritional difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. Read on if you want to know more about the common myths and the facts related to fertilized eggs.

The nutritional profile of eggs

A single boiled egg provides the following nutrients.

Vitamin A 6% of the RDA
Folate 5% of the RDA
Vitamin B57% of the RDA
Vitamin B129% of the RDA
Vitamin B215% of the RDA
Phosphorous 9% of the RDA
Selenium 22% of the RDA

Eggs are also a good source of vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin B6, calcium, and zinc. Apart from the nutrients mentioned above, a single boiled egg contains 77 calories, 6 grams of protein, and 5 grams of healthy fats.

Pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs are nutritionally superior to regular eggs. They are a rich source of omega-3 fats, vitamin A, and vitamin E.

Eggs contain only 212 mg of cholesterol. Eggs only slightly raise cholesterol in the 30% of individuals that are termed, hyper responders. In the rest of the 70%, eggs do not contribute to the increase in cholesterol.

What are Unfertilized eggs?

An embryo contains genetic information from both the female and the male counterparts. Therefore, an egg needs to be fertilized by a male rooster to form an embryo. An unfertilized egg lacks the genetic information of its male counterpart. 

The female genetic material in an unfertilized egg is present in the form of blastodisc. The blastodisc appears as a light-colored spot with irregular borders on the egg yolk.

What are Fertilized eggs?

The first step in the developmental stages of an embryo is the formation of the blastoderm. The blastoderm contains the genetic information from both the hen and the male rooster. 

The blastoderm appears as a bullseye and consists of regular, concentric circles. The blastoderm won’t develop into an embryo unless it is kept in an incubator under controlled humidity and temperature for a specific number of days.

What are Incubated fertilized eggs?

To kickstart the embryo development process, a fertilized egg needs to be incubated at 85℉ for several hours. This awakens the dormant blastoderm to start its development into an embryo.

What are Unincubated fertilized eggs?

An unincubated fertilized egg is food. It cannot develop into an embryo unless provided the specific conditions needed for the development.

Facts and myths about fertilized eggs

Myth: A baby chick is cooped up inside the egg.

Fact: Freshly laid eggs do not contain an embryo, let alone a chick. The egg needs to be fertilized and incubated for a specific number of days before developing an embryo.

Myth: Fertilized eggs have a better nutritional profile than unfertilized eggs.

Fact: There is no scientific evidence that fertilized eggs have more nutrients than their unfertilized counterparts. 

A fertilized egg does contain the male sperm residues and a small proportion of protective cells that surround the embryo. But their ratio is quite small as compared to the total volume of an egg.

Myth: fertilized and unfertilized eggs differ in taste.

Fact: No, fertilized and unfertilized eggs do not have a different taste. It is impossible to differentiate between the two types of eggs just by their taste.

Myth: The presence of a blood spot inside an egg indicates that the egg is fertilized.

Fact: No, the blood spot in question has nothing to do with egg fertilization. The presence of blood in an egg is the consequence of a ruptured blood vessel. 

This phenomenon may be caused by a genetic mutation, Vitamin A deficiency, or any unknown event that took place during any time of a hen’s reproductive cycle.

The blood may appear in both fertilized or unfertilized eggs. The veining that appears in a developing embryo, 4 days into the incubation, is completely visually different from the blood spot that occurs due to the bursting of a blood vessel.

Myth: Candling can be used to check if the egg is fertilized or not.

Fact: Eggs need to be incubated for at least 3 easy to tell if they are fertilized or not. For the other method of identification, the egg will need to be cracked to look for the blastoderm. 

Conclusion

In this article, we answered the question “Can you eat fertilized eggs?”, and what are the common myths and facts about fertilized eggs?

References

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-health-benefits-of-eggs#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3

Hello, I'm Sana Ameer. I'm a student of Food Science and Technology at UVAS. I like to bake and I aspire to become a Food blogger.