Can you eat fat with acid reflux
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can you eat fat with acid reflux?” We will also discuss what acid reflux is, what causes this condition, and what diet is recommended to keep.
Can you eat fat with acid reflux?
Yes, you can eat fat with acid reflux. Although, it is advisable to keep a low-fat diet as a high intake of fat can lead to a greater risk for reflux symptoms.
Keeping a healthy diet is key to avoiding most of the diseases that are caused by high intakes of certain products that can be prejudicial to human health.
What is acid reflux and what causes it?
Acid reflux is the stomach acid that travels up towards the throat and causes a burning feeling in the chest, the so-called heartburn. If acid reflux happens constantly, then it receives the name Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Almost all population has, at least once, experienced heartburn and acid reflux, in some occasions you can not find an obvious reason for these issues.
Some triggers for these conditions are:
- Spicy foods
- Fatty foods
- Being overweight
- Anti-inflammatory painkillers
Which foods can cause heartburn?
Heartburn is a burning feeling inside your chest and is the result of stomach acid backing up in the esophagus. So, what you feel burning inside you is the acid reflux traveling down your throat.
Some foods that can cause heartburn are:
- Fatty foods. Fried food and fatty meat can contribute to acid reflux. As fatty foods are metabolized, they will release a protein that will cause relaxation of the esophageal sphincter, the hormone is called cholecystokinin (CCK).
- Citric food can also cause acid reflux to happen.
- Chocolate. As chocolate is provided with serotonin, a hormone related to happiness, this hormone causes relaxation of the esophageal sphincter and therefore acid reflux travels up your throat.
- Fizzy drinks. They can increase the acidity of your stomach and cause the relaxation of the esophageal sphincter.
- Alcohol. Alcohol also increases the acidity of your stomach, so acid reflux is more likely to occur when you drink high amounts of alcohol.
- Tea and coffee. These beverages can also increase the acidity of the stomach.
So, in order to prevent acid reflux from happening you need to take care of the food you consume daily.
Which foods can be helpful to prevent acid reflux?
Fortunately for people with this kind of problem, there are so many options that can help reduce acid reflux, some of these are:
- High-fiber foods. They can be helpful when leading with heartburn. Some options are:
- Brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Green beans
- Foods with an alkaline pH, above 7
- Foods with high water levels
- Herbal tea
If you want further guidance on this subject, please click here to read more about the role of diet in GERD.
What fats are good for acid reflux?
We all know that to keep a healthy diet, all main groups of food need to be included in appropriate amounts, so you can not just cut off a whole group of food, because you may cause some imbalance in your body functions, and therefore lead to serious consequences.
So, avoiding fats is just not an option, what is recommended is the controlled consumption of them, and also prioritizing the healthier kind of fat: the unsaturated fats.
We do not say that you can not eat saturated fats, but their consumption needs to be even reduced, so to achieve this, the best option is to ask a specialist for the most appropriate plan for you.
What is the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats?
Saturated fats are called like that because of their chemical composition: their structures possess many hydrogen atoms, which cause the “saturation”. Some of the foods that contain saturated fats are:
- Red meats
- Whole milk
On the other hand, unsaturated fats come from plants, and they do not possess as many hydrogens in their structure as saturated fats. According to Harvard Medical School, unsaturated fats have great effects on heart health.
Some foods containing unsaturated fats are:
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
So, to prevent acid reflux from happening the best is to choose wisely the fats you are going to consume, this can cause great changes for this condition.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “can you eat fat with acid reflux?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.