In this brief guide we will answer the following query “can you eat expired yogurt?” We will discuss the nutritional value and proper ways to store the yogurt. We will also discuss the health concerns of eating expired yogurt.
Can you eat expired yogurt?
No, it is not an ideal decision to eat expired yogurt. Yogurt can go for upto 2 weeks after its expiry date if it is kept in good storage conditions.
Yogurt usually does not go bad easily and you can eat it even after its best before date if it is not showing any signs of spoilage.
Yogurt is a highly perishable food that will change its texture and flavor if not stored at the proper temperature.
If the packaging says that your yogurt has expired then it means some of the health hazardous chemicals have started to form in the yogurt. It is not a wise option to eat yogurt at this time.
What are the healthy nutrients present in the yogurt?
Yogurt contains good bacteria called probiotics that are helpful in providing health benefits. Yogurt is available commercially and can be made easily at home.
- Eating yogurt provides us with a good amount of protein. 100 g of yogurt provides 10 g of protein. Protein is a necessary macronutrient used in the growth, cellular maintenance, and development of the human body. Both whey and casein proteins are present in abundance in the yogurt.
- The fat amount in the yogurt varies. Whole milk will give you full-fat yogurt while low fat or no fat will make low fat and skim yogurt. Yogurt is a good source of saturated fats. The good thing is yogurt is available in markets in a variety of variants including full fat, low fat, and zero fat yogurts.
- The main carb present in the yogurt is lactose. The lactose present in the yogurt is lower than the lactose levels in the milk because during the fermentation the bacteria convert the lactose. This is why yogurt is not naturally sweet and it always contains some added sweeteners and sugars.
- Yogurt contains many vitamins and minerals in it. Fat-soluble vitamins are present in abundance in the yogurt. Following vitamins and minerals are present in the yogurt.
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
What are the proper ways to store yogurt?
Yogurt as perishable dairy food needs proper care in storing. While storing and purchasing the yogurt following tips should be kept in mind
- Always check the expiry date of yogurt before buying it.
- Don’t buy the yogurt that has been sitting on the store shelf for a longer period.
- Always store your yogurt in the refrigerator when you have brought it home.
- Do not leave an opened box of yogurt in the fridge. It will change its texture and taste. Put your yogurt in an air-tight box.
- Do not put your leftover yogurt in the refrigerator for the next use because the yogurt will be spoiled.
What are the health benefits of eating yogurt?
Research proves that eating yogurt improves your Gut functioning. The probiotics present in the yogurt help in many ways including the synthesis of vitamins like vitamin K, vitamin B12, niacin, and many more.
Probiotics are also helpful in diarrhea treatment. They help in killing the harmful bacteria in the gut. According to the research, the intake of yogurt has been linked to the lower levels of cholesterol in the body.
Decreased calcium levels in the body are linked to weak bones and eventually it leads to osteoporosis. Yogurt contains a good amount of calcium and phosphorus in it which helps in bone and teeth formation and in this way it avoids osteoporosis.
Many studies have proven that the regular intake of yogurt has been linked to a decrease in blood pressure. This can be very helpful for people who are suffering from hypertension. Yogurt contains low levels of sodium in it.
What are the harmful effects of eating expired yogurt?
If the date on the packaging indicates that your expiry date has passed then you should not eat that yogurt. It can provide certain harmful effects on human health.
Eating an expired yogurt can cause food-borne infection mainly due to the salmonella present in it. It can result in diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. If the situation persists for a few hours it can lead to dehydration.
Vomiting and diarrhea can lead to electrolyte imbalance and loss of nutrients from the body.
Other FAQs about Yogurt that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide we answered the following query: “Can you eat expired yogurt?” We discussed the nutritional value and proper ways to store the yogurt. We also discussed the health concerns of eating expired yogurt.