Can you eat everything with braces
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can you eat everything with braces?” We will also discuss when it is necessary to use braces, and how you can change your diet to avoid any complications in your treatment.
Can you eat everything with braces?
Not really, although you can enjoy most foods with braces, some hard foods are definitely not advised for people with orthodontic treatment. The most important thing when wearing braces is to develop an appropriate technique for eating and also to have excellent dental hygiene.
If you do not take proper care of your teeth when having braces, you can develop some serious problems that can affect the length of your treatment.
What are braces used for?
Braces are dental tools that can help solve some issues with your teeth and jaw. Some of the most common problems that need to be solved with braces are:
- Crossbites. When you have a crossbite, your upper teeth sit inside your lower ones, which can lead to misaligned jaw growth, jaw joint issues, and fractured teeth.
- Crowded teeth. As its name suggests, this occurs when there is not enough space for all teeth, so some may be positioned in the wrong place and at the wrong angle, which makes it harder to have proper hygiene in teeth and gums.
- Midline misalignment. This condition causes both your upper and lower front teeth to not be properly aligned. This can cause effects on the jaw and dental function.
- Open bite. People with an open bite have their upper and lower front teeth separated, so they do not touch or overlap. When an open bite becomes severe, then some jaw surgery may be needed.
- Protrusion. People with protrusion have their upper front teeth extending too far in front of the lower teeth. This can lead to crowding between the lower front teeth, or excessive spaces between the upper front teeth.
As teeth, and all of your mouth, are connected directly to the brain, if you have some dental issues, all of your body will be affected. Actually, some serious diseases can be noticed because of dental symptoms.
What types of braces are there?
Braces can be found in five different kinds, such as:
- Metal braces. This is the most common type of braces there is. They are very popular among children and teens. Braces are held with a wire to the teeth. You need to adjust the wire every 4 to 8 weeks.
- Ceramic braces. These types of braces have clear color and have the same functioning as metal braces. They are used for people who want to align their teeth discreetly.
- Self-ligating braces. They have the same function as the previous two kinds. Self-ligating braces use clips to hold the wire in place, not rubber ties like metal braces do.
- Lingual braces. They are placed behind your teeth and are the least common type of braces on the market. Not all orthodontists know how to apply them. They are completely invisible and have proven to have better efficiency and versatility.
- Clear aligners. These are recommended to all patients who already have had a braces treatment to realign or keep aligned their teeth.
What would happen if you do not take care of your braces?
Dental hygiene is the most important thing when you have braces, it may be harder than the regular daily cleaning, but if you do not take proper care of your braces, some issues are most likely to occur, such as:
- Bacterial infection.
- Stuck food particles.
- Plaque accumulation around the braces.
If you want further guidance on this subject, please click here.
What can you have for breakfast with braces?
The general rule for any food you want to consume with braces is that it needs to be easily dissolved in the mouth to avoid a lot of chewing. Also, you should avoid any hard meals. Some foods you can safely eat for breakfast with braces are:
- Protein shakes
- Cottage cheese
- Mashed potatoes
- Steamed vegetables
- Eggs (in all their forms)
- Avocado toast
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as commonly said. So, having braces does not mean you can not enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal.
In this link, you can find a wider list of food you should or not consume when having braces.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “can you eat everything with braces?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.