Can you eat coconut shells?
In this short article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat coconut shells?” with an in-depth analysis of the brown shell of a coconut, is it edible or not, how can we use the coconut, what are the possible ways of eating coconut, and will also cover all other aspects of coconut including its supplements and beneficial components.
Can you eat coconut shells?
No, the skin of coconut is inedible. The shell covers the coconut flesh and coconut water, which is used for many purposes such as jewellery making, trinkets, and charcoal. The shell is fibrous from the inside.
Coconut is a whole nut with a smooth outer covering, the peel on the most outer side of the coconut is removed before shipping. Coconut is the type of fruit of palm coconut, the peel of coconut which is hairy in structure is actually considered as a seed, while inside the coconut consists of a refreshing liquid that is not so much sweeter in taste.
The liquid which is inside of a coconut is termed juice. Another term used is coconut milk, which is not actually this juice. Coconut milk is extracted by pulverizing the coconut’s flesh and then mixing this extract with water that becomes milky in appearance.
Coconut juice is a famous refreshing drink in the overall tropics. Coconut is enriched with many health supplements including iron with a good content of potassium. It is also a good source of saturated fat.
Natural coconut is also beneficial as it boosts the immune system, also helps in good digestion, and plays a vital role in the absorption of minerals that have a significant role in the body, and it also controls the cholesterol level.
The brown skin of coconut is not too thick, it is edible and is rich in fibre. Coconut also nourishes the body with a good number of electrolytes which are important in the body to perform different functions.
Uses of coconut shell
Coconut shell is used in manufacturing activated carbon at a very high temperature and hot environment such as kilns. This activated carbon is then used for purification purposes as for glycerin, vegetable oil, jaggery, and fruit juices.
- In food industry
The coconut shell is fast in burning and has good food-grade qualities. So, charcoal is preferred in barbecues over regular charcoal.
- As a teeth whitener
Charcoal is beneficial for oral health maintenance. It’s good for whitening teeth. Its regular use on the brush provides amazing results.
- As animal feed
It is a portion of healthy food for animals. It is said that it is used to increase animal weight and to increase the content of milk, charcoal is the best option.
How to check coconut before purchasing?
A good coconut is heavy in size which is a good indication of a healthy coconut. Shake the coconut to hear the juice sound, sloshing around the walls of the coconut. There should not be any mould growing on the surface of coconut.
How to use the coconut?
It can be used by following a cracking procedure. In this method, firstly bake the coconut at a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. This baking will help to remove the coconut shell easily. Then, let the coconut cool.
- Then make a hole in both the eyes of the coconut with the help of a hammer and screwdriver. Then extract the juice through the hole. Divide the coconut into two parts by hitting the hammer on the screwdriver, continue to tap the screwdriver until the coconut is divided into two halves.
- Then take one side of the coconut, place it on any clean working surface in a stable position, tap with the hammer on the surface of the coconut opposite the flesh to break it.
- Then these small parts of coconut can be cut down into chunks that are easy to handle and then the flesh can be separated from the shell with a table knife.
- The brown surface of coconut is all by choice, that can be edible or it can be peeled off.
- Coconut can be used for different purposes like its chunks or strips can be toasted until they appear lighter brown in color and become fragrant. This toasting could be done on a dry skillet for ten minutes over low heat.
- These strips then can be stored in an airtight jar in a cool and clean place, which can be used to sprinkle over the oatmeal and it can be mixed with other nuts and dry fruits as a good snack for travelling, hiking, and to eliminate the off-time cravings especially in the winter season.
- These coconut strips can be grated to sprinkle over many dishes like salads of fresh fruit.
How to store the coconut
A whole coconut before its breaking and extracting flesh, can be stored at room temperature for up to a month, but after using it and the rest of the coconut should be stored by wrapping in a plastic sheet or in an airtight jar in a fridge for maximum one week, but its shelf life can be enhanced by storing it in the freezer where it can stay for up to six months.
Other FAQs about Coconut that you may be interested in.
In this brief article, we have discussed the brown shell of a coconut, if it’s edible or not, what are the ways to use coconut, what is the storage method to increase its shelf life, and what are the benefits of coconut.