In this article, we will answer the question “Can you eat Christmas pudding raw?”, and how to make raw Christmas pudding?
Can you eat Christmas pudding raw?
Yes, you can eat raw Christmas pudding raw. There are pudding recipes that use ingredients that do not require any cooking. Some types of Christmas puddings such as those made with dried fruits won’t go bad even in 2 years as long as they are stored correctly.
Raw Christmas pudding recipe
- 225g of Medjool dates
- 1 orange
- 170g of macadamia nuts
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- ½ tsp of ground cloves
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Zest the orange and combine it with the rest of the ingredients in the food processor. Pulse until homogenous.
- Transfer the mixture to a cake tin and place it in the freezer. After an hour, put the cake tin into the fridge.
How to make healthy and raw Christmas pudding energy balls?
For the Christmas pudding energy bites
- 80 g ground almonds
- 100 g pitted dates
- 130 g dried apricots
- Zest of half an orange and half a lemon
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp raw vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, not raw
For the chocolate coating (optional)
- 50 g cacao butter
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- Tiny pinch of sea salt
- Half a batch of this “white chocolate coating”
For the Marzipan decoration (optional)
- 150 g / 1 cup ground almonds (almond flour)
- 1 – 2 tbsp raw agave nectar
- 1 tsp spirulina powder, for green coloring
- 1 tsp beet juice or powder, for red coloring
For the Christmas pudding energy balls
Grind all the ingredients in a food processor until homogenous and stodgy. Then roll 1 tbsp of this mixture into balls. This recipe will yield 12 energy balls.
For the raw chocolate coating.
- To make the raw chocolate coating, melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler or heatproof bowl over a simmering saucepan. Then stir in the cacao powder, sweetener, and salt. Set it aside to cool.
- Make the white chocolate coating, the link of which is shared above, with half the recipe ingredients.
- Take the energy balls onto a skewer or a fork and dip them one by one into the dark chocolate mixture that has now cooled down.
- Let the excess chocolate drip off by suspending the chocolate-coated balls over the bowl. Then transfer the balls onto a sheet of tin foil or greaseproof paper. Refrigerate or freeze until solid.
- The chocolate will set in about 20 minutes. Repeat the process with the melted white chocolate. Set again in the fridge or freezer.
Make the raw marzipan
- Grind all the ingredients in a food processor until well-combined.
- Divide the raw marzipan into portions depending upon the variety of colors you are looking for. Mix red color into one portion, and add green in the other potion. Roll the red-colored marzipan into pea-sized balls and make leaf shapes with the green marzipan for the holly.
- Decorate the Christmas pudding with marzipan decorations.
- Serve and enjoy.
Does the Christmas pudding go bad?
Yes, Christmas pudding can go bad and quicker if stored incorrectly. A Christmas pudding made with fresh fruits and no booze goes bad quicker than the one made with booze, a lot of sugar, and dried fruits.
Can Christmas pudding be made in a slow cooker?
If the old-fashioned steaming method of cooking Christmas pudding is not your thing, you can rely on a slow cooker for that.
Fill the greased pudding basin with your homemade pudding mixture and seal it with a pleated piece of baking paper and foil. Fill the bottom of the slow cooker, a couple of inches only, with boiling water.
Lower your pudding basin into the slow cooker and cook on high for about 8-9 hours. Instead of messing with the hob ring for reheating your Christmas pudding, you can use a slow cooker to do it.
Is Christmas pudding the same as a fruit cake?
Christmas pudding and Christmas cake share a lot of similar spices and are the star of the festive season. But there is a major difference in the cooking process of the two desserts.
For example, Christmas cake is baked in the oven and served with marzipan and/or royal icing on top. You can look up a variety of Christmas cake decoration ideas to make this cake exciting.
On the other hand, Christmas pudding cooks in the steamer and is topped with a piece of holly as a part of the tradition. Red currants and berries also make for a great decoration.
Other FAQs about Pudding that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you eat Christmas pudding raw?”, and how to make raw Christmas pudding?