In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat chorizo raw?”. In addition to this, the nutrition content of chorizo, recipes of raw chorizo, health benefits of eating raw chorizo and some disadvantages of eating raw chorizo have also been mentioned.
Can you eat chorizo raw?
It is best not to eat chorizo in raw form. Although some people do eat raw chorizo. But it is advised to cook chorizo before eating, as consuming chorizo without cooking can be harmful to health.
We can experience some side effects like vomiting, nausea and stomach aches, etc after eating raw chorizo.
Characteristics of raw chorizo
Following is the list of some characteristics of raw chorizo
- Raw Chorizo is made of coarsely ground pork.
- Raw Chorizo is heavily seasoned.
- Most of the time, raw chorizo is fermented.
- Raw Chorizo can be both spicy and mild. Whether it should be spicy or mild depends on the exact seasoning.
The nutritional content of raw chorizo
Following is the list of some nutrients along with their percentage if its serving size is 28.35 grams.
- Total fat= 9 per cent
- Saturated fat= 12 per cent
- Sugar= 0 per cent
- Sodium= 10 per cent
- Iron= 2 per cent
- Potassium= 2 per cent
- Vitamin D= 2 per cent
Types of chorizo
Following is a list of some types of chorizo
- Soft chorizo
- Chorizo riojano
- Chorizo semicurado
- Chorizo curado
- Chorizo Andaluz
- Chorizo Navarra
Recipes of chorizo
Chorizo is used to make several dishes. Following is the list of some dishes in which chorizo is used as an ingredient.
- Chorizo parmigiana pasta bake: To prepare this, two teaspoons of oil are heated in a large saucepan and heat must be kept high. After adding sliced eggplant, it is heated for 4 to 5 minutes. Then chorizo is cooked in a pan for two to three minutes. Oregano and basil are also added.
The bottom of the pan is scraped after adding one cup of water. Pasta is cooked until all is done. After draining, it is chopped with eggplant and is drained. Cheese is scattered over and is topped with eggplant after placing it in a baking dish.
- Cheesy Chorizo and tomato baked pasta: Firstly all the ingredients are collected in an appropriate amount. Onion and garlic are chopped and sliced thinly.
Pasta is cooked according to required instructions. After cooking pasta, water is drained from the tomato, and chorizo mixture is added to the pasta. After adding the shredded cheese over it, it is baked in an oven for an appropriate amount of time.
- Baked pasta with chorizo and parmesan: Firstly the oven is preheated at 180 degrees. Then the pasta is cooked. Chicken stock cube, garlic, and cream garlic are blended and mixed. After mixing everything well, it is seasoned with salt and pepper. It is baked in a baking dish for about 15 to 20 minutes until it becomes hot. It is served with a lovely green salad.
Health benefits of eating raw chorizo
Following are some health benefits that can be availed by eating raw chorizo
- Source of protein: By eating three ounces of chorizo we can fulfil our daily needs of protein. Protein is very beneficial for our health as it keeps our tissues strong and maintains the hormonal balance of our body.
- Selenium and zinc: A plentiful amount of selenium and zinc is present in raw chorizo. Selenium helps in protecting our cells so that they may not be damaged by free radicals as it provides antioxidants. It also fulfils our requirement for zinc.
- Essential amino acids: Raw Chorizo is loaded with many essential amino acids. These essential amino acids help a lot for repairing tissue and help indigestion.
- Vitamin B1: Vitamin B1 is present in raw chorizo. This vitamin is responsible for the conversion of food into energy.
- Choline: An essential nutrient, choline plays a role in fat metabolism and helps you make fatty acids important for healthy cell membranes. Chorizo also contains vitamin B-12, a nutrient that supports nerve communication and aids in oxygen transport.
Disadvantages of eating raw chorizo
Following are some disadvantages of eating raw chorizo
- Heart disease: Consuming raw chorizo as it is high in saturated fat can be much dangerous for our health as it enhances the risk of stroke and heart disease,
- Kidney failure: Consuming raw chorizo can become a factor in kidney failure.
In this brief article, it has been discussed whether we can eat chorizo raw or not. In addition to this, the nutrition content of chorizo, recipes of raw chorizo, health benefits of eating raw chorizo and some disadvantages of eating raw chorizo have also been mentioned.