In this article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat chicken on Fridays during lent?”. Moreover, we will discuss the reason behind Catholics not eating chicken during lent? The nutritional content of chicken, different recipes of chicken, the health benefits of eating chicken, and some disadvantages of eating chicken.
Can you eat chicken on Fridays during Lent?
No, it is prohibited to eat chicken during lent by Catholics. On Good Friday and all Fridays during lent, Catholics who are above age 14 do not eat chicken. It does not mean that they don’t eat chicken at all. They just avoid eating chicken during these specific days.
Why do Catholics not eat chicken on Fridays during Lent?
Catholics don’t eat chicken during lent. The reason behind this is because according to them it is an act of self-discipline to abstain from chicken during these days. For them, Fridays during lent are a season of penitence and renewal leading up to Easter.
The history behind not eating chicken on Fridays during lent
In the United States in 1966, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops passed Norms II and IV that bound all persons from age fourteen to abstain from meat on Fridays of Lent and throughout the year. Previously, the requirement to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year applied for those of age seven or older.
In ancient times, priests at church started to advise people not to eat chicken during lent. For them, it was a sinful act to eat chicken during lent. They started this tradition in the memory of Christ.
The nutritional content of chicken
Chicken contains many nutrients. Following are some nutrients along-with their quantity that are present in three-ounce of chicken
- Chicken= 128
- Fat= 2.7 gram
- Sodium= 44 mg
- Carbohydrates= 0 g
- Fiber= 0 g
- Sugar= 0 g
- Protein= 26 g
Recipes of chicken
Chicken is used in making many dishes. Following are some dishes in which chicken is used as an ingredient
- Sheet pan sweet and sour chicken: First of all, the oven is preheated to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Drain pineapple tidbits and place the juice into a 1-cup liquid measure. Place drained pineapple in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
After adding bell peppers, onions to the pineapple tidbits two tablespoons of avocado oil are added and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Oil is placed in the same bowl and drizzled with one tablespoon of oil. The remaining liquid is placed in a saucepan with brown sugar, rice vinegar, ketchup, and white sauce. Slowly add cornstarch mixture, whisking briskly. Return to a boil and allow to thicken, whisking constantly for about 1 minute.
- Sweet and sour chicken 111: Chicken is boiled in a large skillet over medium heat until it becomes brown. Cornstarch and soy sauce are mixed in a small bowl. This mixture is poured into a skillet. Pineapple, vinegar, and sugar are poured along with it. It is stirred together and boiled.
- Ginger-lime chicken with coconut recipe: Chicken breast cubes are mixed with lime juice and lime zest and grated ginger. Coconut milk and sugar are combined in a medium saucepan. It is simmered and stirred in jasmine over low heat.
Sesame oil is heated in a large bowl. Chicken is fried until it becomes brown. Honey is drizzled on the chicken and is sprinkled with coconut after removing from the heat.
Health benefits of eating chicken
Chicken has many health benefits. Following are some health benefits that can be availed from eating chicken
- Rich in protein: Chicken is a great source of protein. This protein is very beneficial to support a healthy body and helps to maintain weight.
- Improves heart health: By eating chicken breast, homocysteine amino acids level is maintained because if its level increases there is a risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Phosphorus content: Chicken is very rich in phosphorus. Phosphorus is essential to support teeth and bones and also for the kidney and central nervous system.
- Helps to fight depression: Chicken is very good to ward off depression. Eating chicken enhances the number of serotonin amino acid levels in our brain and elevates the brain, blasting stress and giving good sleep.
Disadvantages of eating chicken
Following are some disadvantages of eating chicken
- Food poisoning: Sometimes we encounter food poisoning after eating chicken. The reason behind this is some germs that are present in chickens.
- Cancer risk: By eating chicken we become prone to some risks of cancer.
Other FAQs about Chicken that you may be interested in.
In this article, it has been discussed whether we can eat chicken during lent or not. Why do Catholics not eat chicken during lent? Apart from this history behind not eating chicken during lent, nutrition content of chicken, different recipes of chicken, health benefits of eating chicken and some disadvantages of eating chicken have also been discussed.