In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question, “Can you eat cheesecake on a keto diet?” with an in-depth analysis of a keto diet, the recipe of keto cheesecake and ways to store keto cheesecake.
Can you eat cheesecake on a keto diet?
Yes, you can eat cheesecake on a keto diet. Although regular cheesecakes are rich in carbohydrates, you can customise your own low-carbohydrate cheesecake by adding no sugars to it. It will be extremely creamy, perfectly sweet, and easy to fit into your low-carb diet.
What is a keto diet?
The keto diet is a truly low carbohydrate and high-fat diet that has many characteristics in common with the Atkins and low carb diets.
A ketogenic diet involves considerably decreasing carbohydrate consumption and substituting it with fat. This reduction in carbohydrates sets your body into a metabolic phase termed ketosis.
When this happens, the body becomes extra proficient at burning fat for energy. It also converts fat into ketones in the liver, which can provide energy for the brain.
Ketogenic diets can cause notable reductions in blood glucose and insulin levels. This, together with the increased ketone levels, has various health benefits.
Components in a keto cheesecake
Keto cheesecakes are prepared with tasty ingredients including cream cheese, eggs and low-carb sweeteners such as erythritol.
According to your preference, you can choose to prepare this keto cheesecake with or without a crust.
If you do want to make a gluten-free crust, you can use almond flour, a little butter, and a pinch of low-carb sweetener.
For making a gluten-free crust:
- Flaxseed meal. Adding a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to the crust helps to bind it together and keep it from crumbling during slicing. You can also add 2 teaspoons of finely ground chia seeds or a 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum, in place of flaxseeds. However, If you are not having these ingredients, you can easily do without them.
- Almond flour. It is better to use blanched almond flour as it will give the finished baked cake a finer texture.
- Cream cheese. Use a full-fat cheese and make sure to let your cream cheese come to room temperature before you start to bake. Ingredients at room temperature combine much more easily, allowing you to prevent chunks in the cheesecake.
- Erythritol sweetener. In case you desire to replace erythritol with something else, you will have to review the chart on the rear side of the packet prior to baking. For instance, Swerve has a 1:1 ratio of sweetness to sugar. Most brands of sweeteners are doubly sweet as compared to sugar having a 2:1 ratio. In such a case, add a fewer amount of sweeteners than mentioned in the recipe.
- Eggs. Allow the eggs to come to room temperature before you start to bake.
- Vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt to adjust the sweetness
How to make keto cheesecake?
Follow the simple and easy recipe.
Making the crust
Start by adding a couple of tablespoons of melted butter to the almond flour. Then add one tablespoon of sweetener with a little bit of cinnamon and salt. Whisk all the ingredients in a small container. It should have a moist sand-like texture.
In the next step, transfer the prepared crust into a pan. You can work with your fingers or use the bottom of a small cup to crush the crust to the base of the pan.
In case you are making a cheesecake without crust, just make sure to oil the cheesecake pan properly.
Lastly, partially bake the crust in a 350℉ oven for approximately 10 minutes until it is slightly golden brown. While it is in the oven, you will have ample time to prepare the batter.
Making the batter
The fundamental step to make the best cheesecake is to ensure that the ingredients are at room temperature before making the cheesecake batter. Allow the cream cheese and eggs to sit on the kitchen counter and let them warm up for some time before starting.
Afterwards, in a large container, blend the melted cream cheese till soft. Next, add the sweetener, eggs, salt, and vanilla. Mix everything together until well blended.
In the next step, add the batter into the pre-baked crust. By using a spatula even out the top, and put the cheesecake in the oven.
Bake the cheesecake for about an hour, and then monitor the cheesecake for doneness. You will know the cheesecake is prepared when the middle of the cheesecake still wiggles a little when you hit the side of the pan.
After the cheesecake is done baking, allow it to cool on the countertop for around 30 minutes, then clothe and chill in the refrigerator for almost four hours. Allow it to cool thoroughly prior to serving.
In this short article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can you eat cheesecake on a keto diet?” with an in-depth analysis of a keto diet, the recipe of keto cheesecake and ways to store keto cheesecake.