In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat CBD vape juice?” with an in-depth analysis of the taste of CBD vape juice, the nutritional content of CBD vape juice and the different advantages of CBD vape juice.
Can you eat CBD vape juice?
Yes, you can eat CBD vape juice. As CBD vape juice is very easy to absorb into the bloodstream through blood vessels in the lungs, that’s why the most appropriate way to take cannabidiol is through CBD vape juice. People inhale the vapors directly into their lungs, from where it is transported into the bloodstream.
CBD vape juice
CBD is an e-liquid to be used in electronic cigarettes. Electronic cigarettes were developed as an alternative method for nicotine delivery. Electronic liquids (e-liquids) are formulations used in e-cigarettes, and consist of a ratio of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin, a pharmaceutical and/or herbal remedy and, usually, a flavoring agent. When the e-cigarette is activated, the e-liquid is vaporized, followed by a rapid condensation into an aerosol that is inhaled (1).
CBD vape juice is also recognised as CBD vape oil. CBD vape juice is a vapor product that is composed of cannabidiol, which is a naturally occurring chemical compound present in hemp plants. It must not be confused with hemp oil, which originated from hemp seeds and is devoid of any CBD. This product may contain up to 0.3% THC (1).
The taste of CBD vape juice
The taste of CBD vape juice is not very good. The reason behind this is that cannabinoid extracts are extremely earthy and bitter. It is not easy to work with cannabinoid extracts.
Apart from this, some other cannabis-infused products including CBD and THC taste very bad. Due to the taste of CBD vape juice, it does not cause munchies but it can enhance the appetite if it is added to foods and beverages.
Ingredients of CBD vape juice
Following are the components that are present in CBD vape juice
- PG: Propylene glycol is majorly used as a food additive. The taste of PG is faintly sweet. It is a colorless and odorless liquid.
- VG: Like PG, VG is also a common additive in food. The thickness of VG is a little bit more than PG. Regarding taste, VG has a more pronounced sweet taste.
- CBD extract
- Flavoring: In CBD vape juice, all MHRA approved e-liquids are used. These liquids are also used in some other products.
However, a study analyzing commercial CBD e-liquids detected synthetic cannabinoid 5-fluoro MDMB-PINACA (5F-ADB), a cannabimimetic, which has some similar pharmacological activity of cannabis. 5F-ADB is reported to produce euphoric and other psychoactive effects similar to that of THC. In addition, Dextromethorphan (DXM) wsa detected, which is used in numerous cough and cold medications for its antitussive effects. It can cause agitation, ataxia, hypertonic, sedation and may produce dissociative hallucinations at high doses. The inclusion of these drugs in e-liquids can lead to dangerous consequences; particularly when the users are unaware, and the products are used for therapeutic reasons (1).
The nutritional content of CBD vape juice
CBD vape juice is composed of multiple nutrients. Following are some nutrients that can be availed by eating CBD vape juice:
Different recipes in which CBD vape juice is used
Following are some recipes in which CBD vape juice can be used as an ingredient
- CBD gummies: Firstly juice is heated in a saucepan. Any type of fruit juice can be used. A hundred per cent of fruit juice like pomegranate juice is used to avoid high quantities of sugar.
Then it is whisked in honey and gelatin and is combined. Two milliliters of CBD oil is added after turning off the heat. Then the mixture is poured into the mold. Molds are placed on the baking sheet and are set in the freezer.
- CBD oil recipe: Hemp flowers are placed inside the Ardent Flex. After placing them, the mode button is pressed to activate the A2 model. Flex is allowed to run on the full cycle and let it cool completely. After this oil is poured over the discarded flowers and then flex is sealed.
Infuser cycle is activated. The machine is allowed to cool completely. Oil is strained by using a fine-mesh sieve. After stirring it in the mint extract, oil is stored at room temperature. Oil must be stored away from light and heat at least for two months.
- CBD chocolate cake: After preheating the oven to 320 degrees F, chocolate is broken into chunks and is added into the bowl along with CBD butter. Bowl is set over a pan of hot water. Bowl is removed from the pan. Eggs and vanilla are added to the bowl and are mixed.
Sugar is added and mixed and ensures that the mixture is thick. Pour your melted chocolate and CBD mixture into your thick egg mixture, and mix thoroughly, ensuring everything is equally blended together.
After baking it for forty-five minutes, it must be removed from the baking pan and cooled completely. Then it is served.
Some advantages of CBD vape juice
Following are some advantages of CBD vape juice
- CBD vape juice is very beneficial in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes.
- Side effects of chemotherapy can be reduced by using CBD vape juice.
- In epilepsy, CBD vape juice is also very useful.
- Anxiety and insomnia can be treated with CBD vape juice.
- CBD vape juice also has anti-oxidative and neuroprotective effects.
Cannabidiol is presently considered as a potential therapeutic drug because of its anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective, antipsychotic, anxiolytic, anti-epileptic, and anti-cancer effects (2).
However, studies using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis on the composition of commercial CBD e-liquids revealed that most of the cannabinoids were present in amounts below (about 20% less) than those indicated on the e-liquid container. It also detected the presence of trimethylsilyl derivatives of propylene glycol and glycerol. Sesquiterpenes (caryophyllene), which are partly responsible for the typical scent of cannabis, as well as polyols (e.g., xylitol, mannitol) and sugars (fructose), were also detected. Trimethylsilyl derivatives of acid (cannabidiolic acid, cannabigerolic acid, cannabichromenic acid, cannabidivarinic acid) and neutral (cannabidiol, tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabinol) cannabinoids were also found.
The same study claims that by examination of the e-liquid by eye and microscope, this new type of e-liquid revealed itself to be a translucent solution containing macroscopic and microscopic plant debris and hairs. All these results indicate that these products are not safe to be ingested (2).
In this brief article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can you eat CBD vape juice?” with an in-depth analysis of the taste of CBD vape juice, the nutritional content of CBD vape juice and the different advantages of CBD vape juice.
- Poklis, Justin L., Haley A. Mulder, and Michelle R. Peace. The unexpected identification of the cannabimimetic, 5F-ADB, and dextromethorphan in commercially available cannabidiol e-liquids. Forens sci inter, 2019, 294, e25-e27.
- Giroud, Christian, et al. E-cigarettes: a review of new trends in cannabis use. Int j environ res public health, 2015, 12, 9988-10008.