In this brief article, we will provide an answer to the question, “Can you eat cassowary meat?”. We will also talk about the life span of cassowary meat, the habitat and hidden facts of cassowaries, some recipes for making cassowary meat, the health benefits and disadvantages of eating cassowary meat.
Can you eat Cassowary meat?
Yes, we can eat cassowary meat. As its meat is very tough so before cooking it, the meat of cassowary is boiled in a pan for several hours. The taste of cassowary meat is very strong, that is why people who eat it for the first time sometimes become dizzy.
The life span of Cassowary
The life span of cassowary depends on whether it is being kept in the wild or captivity. If we keep cassowary in captivity then its life span is almost 60 years, but it becomes less when it is kept in the wild.
Habitat of Cassowaries
Cassowaries require abundant fleshy fruits that is why they primarily occur in rainforests. Apart from rainforests, cassowaries also live in woodlands, mangroves, and beaches.
Some hidden facts of cassowaries
Here are some facts about cassowaries that are not much popular
- Huge size: The size of cassowaries is very big. The cassowary is the third tallest bird in the world and its size is almost six feet tall. Although female and male cassowaries are similar, female cassowaries are a little bit big.
- Solitary lifestyle: Cassowaries prefer to live alone. They come together only in mating season. Their mating season is from May to October. Several nests are prepared by female birds, where they lay clutches of three to five eggs by different fathers.
- Eggs incubation: After eggs are laid by female birds, males take responsibility for egg incubation. This procedure is for about 50 days. After egg hatching, chickens are raised for about nine months by males.
- Need of rainforests: Cassowaries act as a major seed disperser of almost two thirty-eight rainforest species. So it can be said that cassowaries are the reason for the survival of rainforests. Some fruits can only be digested by cassowaries as cassowaries have a unique digestive system that is short and fast and contains a rare combination of enzymes.
- Unsafe for people: Cassowaries can cause some serious harm to people. Sometimes male birds become aggressive and attack other birds and people.
Different recipes of cassowaries
Cassowaries are used as an ingredient in different dishes. Here are some of these dishes
- Cassowary fillet kebabs: To make cassowary fillet kebabs, soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and peeled lemon is mixed well in a shallow glass dish. The cassowary is added and stirred to coat. It is refrigerated for about two hours after covering it with plastic wrap.
Meat and vegetables are heated on medium heat until vegetables become brown and served.
- Cassowary Thai Omelette: For this, cassowary egg, spring onions, garlic cloves, and all other ingredients are mixed and poured into a non-stick roasting tray. After this, they are placed in an oven and are heated until it becomes firm.
A small amount of oyster and chilli sauce is sprinkled onto the omelette. Omelette is rolled in plastic and is placed in a refrigerator.
Uses of cassowaries
Following are some uses of cassowaries
- Cassowaries have been traded for pigs.
- Their meat can be used in different recipes.
- Eggs can also be obtained from cassowaries.
- Cassowaries also maintain the ecological balance of rain forest.
Health benefits of eating cassowaries meat
Although cassowary is not a common food it has some health benefits. Here are some health benefits that can be availed by eating cassowary meat
- Source of nutrients: There are some nutrients like iron, protein, zinc which are present in large amounts in the meat of cassowary.
- Muscle strength: Protein that is present in cassowary meat can lead to an enhancement in the strength of muscles.
- Anti-carcinogenic: By eating cassowary meat we can protect ourselves from the risk of many types of cancer.
Disadvantages of cassowary meat
Following are some shortcomings of cassowary meat
- Tough: Cassowary meat is very tough and it requires a lot of time for cooking. So, cooking cassowary meat is time-consuming.
- Heart disease: People who eat cassowary meat are at risk of heart diseases. The reason behind this is because cassowary meat contains a high amount of fat and cholesterol which are not good for heart health.
In this brief article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can you eat cassowary meat?”. We will also talk about the life span of cassowary meat, the habitat and hidden facts of cassowaries, some recipes for making cassowary meat, the health benefits and disadvantages of eating cassowary meat.