In this brief article, we will provide an answer to the question, “Can you eat canned sardines daily?”. Moreover, we will discuss the best ways to eat canned sardines, the nutritional content of canned sardines, the uses of canned sardines, some recipes of canned sardines, health benefits of eating canned sardines, and some disadvantages of eating canned sardines daily.
Can you eat canned sardines every day?
No, you can not eat canned sardines daily. Although there is no disadvantage of eating canned sardines it is not recommended to eat canned sardines daily. The reason behind this is because canned sardines are composed of a high amount of cholesterol, which can be harmful if consumed in excessive amounts.
Two servings of canned sardines are recommended per week.
Best way to eat canned sardines
Canned sardines contain water, tomato juice, oil, and some other liquids. These canned sardines can be eaten by just taking them out of the can as they are loaded with every basic requirement. Apart from this, canned sardines can be filled with onion and peppers.
Some condiments such as hot sauce, mustard, and mayo can be added to canned sardines. Most of the time, the heads of canned sardines are removed and only skin and bones are available for eating.
The nutritional content of canned sardines
Canned sardines contain a lot of nutrients. Following is the list of some nutrients that can be availed by eating canned sardines
- Vitamin B12
Uses of canned sardines
Canned sardines can be used for several purposes. Following are some uses of canned sardines
- They can be added to a pizza.
- Canned sardines can be whisked in a tomato sauce
- Canned sardines can be utilized in tacos
- They can serve as an ingredient of a salad
- Canned sardines can be paired up with avocado
- We can pile a couple of canned sardines on toast or hearty crackers
- They can be mixed with pasta
- We can also grill canned sardines
Recipes of canned sardines
Canned sardines are used to make several dishes. Following are some dishes in which canned sardines are used as an ingredient
- BBQ sardines with chermoula sauce: All the ingredients are blitzed in a food processor for the chermoula sauce. Then it is kept in an airtight container for about three days. BBQ is heated.
Sardines are rubbed with oil and are seasoned. Every fish is threaded from head to tail onto a skewer and slashes are made. Sardines are cooked for two to three minutes and chermoula sauce is drizzled to serve.
- Sardines and tomatoes on toast: Every piece of toast is rubbed with garlic. Sardines and their oil is mixed in a small bowl with the tomatoes and the watercress. After mixing they are seasoned. On each slice of the toast, a mixture is applied. It is dispersed over parsley and lemon is squeezed over.
- Spicy fennel linguine with sardines and capers: Oil is drained from sardines and is heated in a frying pan over medium heat. Lemon zest, garlic, and fennel are cooked for ten minutes.
It is stirred until the fennel is tender and starts to show its colour. Sardines are tipped onto fennel. Fish is broken with a wooden spoon and then capers are added along with parsley, pasta, and lemon juice.
Health benefits of eating canned sardines
Following are the benefits that can be availed by eating canned sardines
- Vitamins: Canned sardines include a lot of vitamins like vitamin B12, niacin, and folate, etc. Vitamins help to convert food into energy for the proper functioning of the body.
- Minerals: Every can of sardines contains the following minerals Phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, etc.
- Source of omega 3 fatty acids: Every can of sardines contains sixty-four per cent of DV of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Low mercury content: Mercury is a heavy metal that is present in many aquatic species. But canned sardines are low in mercury content.
Disadvantages of eating canned sardines
Following are some disadvantages of eating canned sardines
- Cholesterol content: Forty-four per cent of our DV of cholesterol is present in one can of sardines. A high level of canned sardines is bad for health.
- BPA in cans: A harmful chemical is known as bisphenol A or BPA is present in canned sardines. This chemical can cause much harm to our bodies.
- Heart diseases: Eating a lot of canned sardines can lead to heart disease. If heart function doesn’t function well then whole body function gets disrupted.
In this brief article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can eat canned sardines daily?”. Moreover, we will discuss the best ways to eat canned sardines, the nutritional content of canned sardines, the uses of canned sardines, some recipes of canned sardines, health benefits of eating canned sardines, and some disadvantages of eating canned sardines daily.