In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat Canadian geese?”. Apart from this, the habitat of Canadian geese, the taste of Canadian geese and the nutritional value of Canadian geese along with different recipes, health benefits, and some disadvantages of eating Canadian geese will also be discussed.
Can you eat Canadian geese?
Yes, we can eat Canadian geese. Although in some countries like the US, it is not allowed to eat Canadian geese. No significant disadvantages of eating Canadian geese have been found yet. The meat of Canadian geese is lean and is a good option to eat.
Habitat of Canadian geese
To carry out the breeding, the preferred habitat of Canadian geese is the riverine area. They are also found in ponds, lakes, marshes, city and suburban parks.
Taste of Canadian geese
Canadian geese have a resemblance with lean beef regarding their texture. They have a mild flavour. In case, if Canadian geese are not cooked properly their meat becomes tough and inappropriate to eat. A common mistake while cooking Canadian geese is overcooking breast meat.
Nutritional value per serving of a Canadian geese
Canadian geese are rich in nutrients. Following is the list showing nutrients present per serving of 3 oz of Canadian geese
- Calories= 113
- Fat= 3.42 mg
- Phosphorus= 218 mg
- Potassium= 286 mg
- Zinc= 1.43 mg
- Calcium= 3 mg
- Zinc= 1.43 mg
- Cholesterol= 68 mg
- Niacin= 5.58 mg
Recipes of Canadian geese
Canadian geese are used in different dishes. Following is the list of some dishes in which Canadian geese are used:
- Wild geese maple jerky: The cooking time of wild geese maple jerky is almost six hours. First of all, bread is sliced into strips. Marinade ingredients are combined and strips of geese breasts are added. For almost 24 hours it is marinated. By using the oven, it is dehydrated, smoked, and baked. The door of the oven is kept closed until it becomes dry.
- Bacon-wrapped wild geese breasts: Firstly skewers are soaked in water so that they may not burn on the grill. The breast is cut into cubes and any thin corner of it is trimmed. In a geese chunk, a piece of paper is placed. Meat is grilled for about ten minutes on medium heat. A dollop of cream cheese is added before taking it off from the grill and allowed to melt over each piece of paper.
- Canada geese in sweet chilli sauce: In the first step, olive oil is heated in a skillet over medium heat. In hot oil, onion and garlic are heated for about two minutes to make them fragrant. Geese are added to oil after it is seasoned with salt and pepper. Chilli sauce is poured over the geese and is simmered until it becomes thick.
- Canada geese breast with Caramelized apples and onion: Meat is cut carefully and is sprinkled with salt and pepper. Apple slices are sauteed to make them soft and one teaspoon of cinnamon is caramelized. Meat is cooked until it becomes crispy. After adding all the ingredients, further cooking is done in an oven.
- Wild geese stew recipe: After cutting geese breasts, these are mixed with all other ingredients in a bowl. These ingredients are mixed well. After pouring off grease, meat is added to the Dutch oven. Meat is dusted with flour and kept in the oven for five minutes. Stored vegetables and herbs from marinade are added and boiled enough to cover the meat.
Health benefits of eating Canadian geese
Following are some health benefits of eating Canadian geese:
- Animal protein source: Animal protein is very much essential for health. Lack of animal protein can make our body weak.
- Controls heart health: Canadian geese are very helpful to maintain a healthy heart rate. Heart health is very important to maintain proper body functions.
- Strengthens immune system: Strong immune system is very helpful to ward off different diseases. Eating Canadian geese helps to boost the strength of our immune system and makes it capable of fighting off many diseases.
- Enhances stamina: Canadian geese also help to enhance stamina that helps to perform our daily life functions in a good way.
Disadvantages of eating Canadian geese
Following are some disadvantages of eating Canadian geese
- Cryptosporidium, giardia, and toxoplasmosis are the parasites that are present in Canadian geese. These parasites can cause diseases including diarrhoea and some other infections.
- They also cause pseudorabies disease.
- Eating Canadian geese meat can also cause a rare type of food poisoning
In this brief article, it is made clear whether eating Canadian geese is good for health or not. Apart from this, the habitat of Canadian geese, the taste of Canadian geese and the nutritional value of Canadian geese along with different recipes, health benefits, and some disadvantages of eating Canadian geese are also discussed.