Can you eat butter on keto?

In this short article, we will answer the question, “Can you eat butter on keto?” with a thorough analysis of the keto diet, is taking butter on a keto diet beneficial or not and the calories of butter on a keto diet.

Can you eat butter on keto?

Yes, we can eat butter on keto. Butter is a fat that people prefer to eat during the keto diet to fulfil low carbs and high-fat requirements. Sometimes, it is claimed by low-carb diet enthusiasts that eating excessive butter is not dangerous while some experts consider it unsafe for consumption in larger amounts.

Why is butter considered a low carb diet?

Many diet plans are high in fat and low in carbs. For example, the keto diet and the Atkins diet.

High fat and low carb diet plans are beneficial for health through various aspects such as lowering high blood sugar levels and it is also a very helpful stimulus in weight loss. 

Fat dietary plans and food enriched with fat must be included in our daily meal plan to meet a low carb macronutrients range.

In the ketogenic diet, the breakdown for typical macronutrients ranges from 70 to 75 per cent for fat, for protein it is 20 to 25 per cent and in the case of carbs it is 5 to 10 per cent.

Other low carb diet plans such as the Paleo diet, limit the 30 per cent calories for carbs while leaving the rest of 70 per cent calories for protein and fat enrichment foods.

Following the keto diet plan that consists of high fat and low carbs, people take fat enriched food consisting of butter, coconut oil, and olive oil to fulfil their macronutrient requirement.

Butter is a healthy food

The effects of butter on our health are controversial. Fat that is extracted from butter is considered saturated fat.

For decades, it was claimed that cardiac diseases are caused by saturated fat-rich food that consists of dairy products with full fat such as butter.

But recent research makes it clear that butter can only increase the risk factor of heart diseases rather than causing heart disease itself. 

Risk factors include low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL), also called bad and good cholesterol factors respectively. Butter may increase the LDL bad cholesterol, which will, in turn, relatively increase the HDL level. That is LDL to HDL ratio, it is a significant heart disease marker. 

Furthermore, eating butter does not cause serious issues in the body such as stroke, heart disease and diabetes.

There is a weak association between the intake of butter and the mortality rate.

Adequate butter intake is healthy with the normal cholesterol level for proper functioning and maintenance of the body. 

However, butter intake is not good for those who are having genetic syndromes such as familial hypercholesterolemia. In such people, more butter intake results in high cholesterol levels at an abnormal level that enhances the risk of heart diseases.

Butter rich diet

Processed food is also an enriched source of butter with fewer nutrients but it affects health differently as butter in healthy food like fibre-rich vegetables.

Butter is just one of the many healthy fat choices

Butter is not the only form of fat. It is a food that itself does not promote heart disorder but enhances the risk factors of heart disease. Fat is consumed in many other ways, in addition to butter such as in the form of oil.

Butter as a part of a healthy diet

High-fat food is one of the most common requirements in a low carb diet plan. That is why we should select the option of the most healthy fat to reach our macronutrient goals. In most healthy fat options, fat obtained from the pasture-raised cow is considered one of the best options. 

Low carb diet never means to increase the butter intake. It is not a convenient diet plan to have more butter in the form of fat and fewer carbs.

And it is not known yet about the nutritional value of butter. So, it is recommended that to enjoy a healthy butter intake we should use it in fewer amounts.

For example, adding butter of one dollop on starchy veggie dishes enhances the fat level for a low carb diet person to fulfil their fat requirement for a day. 

In most low carb diets, followed by high-fat values such as in the keto diet, butter is considered one of the major sources for fat consumption.

Conclusion

In this short article, we have answered the question, “Can you eat butter on keto?” with a thorough analysis of the keto diet, is taking butter on a keto diet beneficial or not and the calories of butter on a keto diet.

References

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carbs-in-butter#how-to-incorporate-it
https://www.organicpastures.com/blog/raw-dairy-and-keto-diet

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.