In this brief guide, we will answer the question, can you eat after using whitening strips? We will discuss the foods that you can eat after using whitening strips and the correct way to use whitening strips.
Can you eat after using whitening strips?
You can eat foods that do not stain and are not acidic after using whitening strips. You need to avoid colored foods for at least 2 hours after using whitening strips. When you use whitening strips, the teeth become porous and stain easily.
Avoid foods and drinks like chocolate, wine, coffee, soda, and berries because they can permanently stain your teeth. You need to avoid foods that have vibrant colors and dark hues such as, Fruit juice, tea, tomato sauce, turmeric and curry, soy sauce, and dark beer.
If you accidentally eat any staining foods, you need to rinse immediately after. You can also brush to remove any residual colors.
Smoking and chewing tobacco also discolor teeth. Dentists advise using nicotine strips or e-cigarettes, which do not harm teeth as much.
Can you eat after using crest whitening strips?
According to the website and advertisements, you do not have to restrict any kind of food or wait after using the strips. However, we advise you to stay away from acidic, pigmented foods and beverages.
How do whitening strips work?
Whitening strips use bleaching compounds and ingredients to make teeth light. Hydrogen peroxide is the frequent option in teeth whitening procedures. Other ingredients are polymers, gels, and preservatives, that make the whitening strips retain their quality and effectiveness.
Whitening strips usually start to show results halfway through the applications. Whitening strips are used every day for two weeks to complete the regime. You need to stick to the routine that your dentists advise or the label instructions. You must not skip a day for the whitening strips to work optimally.
Moreover, the frequency and time provided must be followed closely. If you use the whitening strips excessively beyond the instructions, your teeth and gums will become sensitive. To prevent harming your teeth, follow the product guideline closely.
How to use whitening strips?
- Brush your teeth before you apply the whitening strips for optimal results.
- Open the pouch and take the strip out.
- Peel the strip and let it stick on your teeth. Try to be precise and align them closely with the gumline.
- Press the strips gently on the teeth.
- Fold the excess strip behind the teeth.
- After the instructed time has elapsed, you can remove the strip.
- To remove the strip, you can rinse your mouth with water or wipe it off.
To make sure that the whitening strips stick properly, use a mirror to precisely stick the strips onto the teeth. If the strip slips, then close your mouth and suck to hold it in place.
Do not rub your tongue over the strips and fold the excess parts over the teeth.
Some considerations before and after you use whitening strips:
- Brush your teeth without any toothpaste before you use whitening strips. It helps to open up pores and makes whitening more effective.
- Try to use the whitening strips precisely to prevent uneven whitening.
- Do not overuse the strips because they can cause permanent damage to your teeth.
- Make sure that the strips do not come in contact with gums. The chemicals in whitening strips can damage the soft tissue of gums.
- Eat white foods such as rice, chicken, rice, eggs, baked goods, vegetables, bananas, and chips.
Why is the tooth enamel prone to discoloration?
Three compounds from food cause discoloration of teeth; acids, tannins, and chromogens. Foods that contain any of these compounds can cause the teeth to stain. When you use teeth whitening strips, the pores stay open for 48 hours. The dentin layer of the teeth becomes exposed; hence, the pigmented compounds can cause discoloration. You need to follow the white diet for 48 hours to make most of your whitening strips.
Should you refrain from using whitening strips?
Whitening strips must not be your resort to keeping your teeth white. Whitening strips have been known to damage the enamel. Whitening strips are also associated with a higher risk of tooth decay.
To protect your teeth in the long run, after consuming foods and beverages., rinse and brush thoroughly. Be thorough and regular with your oral care regime to prevent staining and consequent oral problems.
Quit nicotine from cigarettes, tobacco, or e-cigarette because it can cause the enamel to become yellow.
Visit your dentist at least annually to keep your teeth and gum health in check.
In this brief guide, we answered the question, can you eat after using whitening strips? We discussed the foods that you can eat after using whitening strips and the correct way to use whitening strips.