In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can you drink vinegar?”, discuss other questions like what are the health benefits of vinegar and how you should consume vinegar the right way.
Can you drink vinegar?
Well, the answer depends on how much amount you are consuming. If you consume it in smaller amounts it shows several health benefits but when taken in large quantities may cause serious health issues.
Vinegar has been used worldwide for several purposes like cooking, baking, salad dressing, as a food preservative while making pickles, sauces, and many more.
Vinegar is mixed with juice, warm water, or other drinks. For all these purposes vinegar is used in small amounts, so it’s safe to drink. Apple cider vinegar may show several health benefits when consumed in small amounts in diluted form.
Drinking vinegar straight is not recommended as it can cause problems like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, eroding tooth enamel, etc.
What is vinegar?
Vinegar is a sour liquid that is prepared by fermentation of alcohol liquids to acetic acid-containing liquids. Most kinds of vinegar contain 4 to 8 percent acetic acid with pH 2 to 3.
Vinegar can be prepared by any liquid that is capable of being converted to alcohol. Fruit juices contain sugars, these sugars are converted to alcohol by yeast. This alcohol formed by yeast is converted to acetic acid by bacteria(Acetobacter).
Vinegar can be produced from many sources like
1. Apples or grapes(apple cider or wine vinegar)
2. Malted barley or oats (malt vinegar)
3. Industrial alcohol (white vinegar)
What are the health benefits of vinegar?
Over the years it is believed that vinegar shows certain health benefits. Based on several studies we have listed five health benefits of vinegar
1. It May help weight loss
Some studies say that apple cider vinegar can increase stomach fullness and thus restrict calorie intake, thus aid in weight loss.
But it can not replace the daily workout and diet. So you can see weight loss after consuming apple cider but only if you follow your diet and regular workout routine. So do not rely on vinegar alone for weight loss.
2. Vinegar may help to control blood sugar level
Some studies show that vinegar consumption can prevent blood sugar levels spike even after a high carb meal. It is true it may help in reducing blood sugar levels moderately but it won’t cure diabetes.
But before starting consumption of any vinegar as a daily routine please consult with your doctor.
3. May help in reducing cholesterol
Studies have shown that vinegar can help reduce cholesterol.
4. Helps in conditions like PCOS(Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
It is a hormonal condition in women that causes irregular menstruation. Consumption of apple cider vinegar has been shown to restore the regular menstrual cycle.
5. Vinegar is antimicrobial
Vinegar shows some antimicrobial properties, it is used in the treatment of skin infections, burns, and fungal infections.
Other FAQs about Vinegar which you may be interested in.
What happens if you consume vinegar in large quantities?
- Vinegar in small quantities may help in some health conditions but too much of it may cause ill effects on your health.
- It can damage tooth enamel due to acetic acid.
- It can harm the oesophagus and can cause difficulty in swallowing.
- May cause skin burn and irritation when applied to the skin.
- Can disturb the digestive system because vinegar helps in weight loss by reducing the appetite so its absorption in the bloodstream is slow which causes delayed stomach emptying. Also causes nausea and vomiting.
- Vinegar may interact with drugs like medication for diabetes.
Consume vinegar the right way
You can get the health benefits of vinegar by drinking it the right way with certain precautions
· Do not consume vinegar directly. Always dilute it with water. 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinegar in a glass of water are sufficient.
· Do not consume in large quantities as it can show side effects as discussed above.
· Minimize its exposure to teeth, use a straw instead of drinking directly.
· If you drink vinegar straight by accident then rinse your mouth immediately, drink some water to reduce stomach irritation. If any other problems start, seek medical help immediately.
· Make sure to wash your skin with gentle soap if it is exposed to vinegar as it may cause skin irritation.
· Different types of vinegar can have different effects. So do your research before consuming any.
· Before including vinegar in your routine make sure to consult with your doctor.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you drink vinegar?”, discussed other questions like what are the health benefits of vinegar and how you should consume vinegar the right way.
- https://www.leaf.tv/articles/what-happens-when-you-drink-vinegar/ https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar-side-effects#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3
- Fushimi, T., Suruga, K., Oshima, Y., Fukiharu, M., Tsukamoto, Y., & Goda, T. (2006). Dietary acetic acid reduces serum cholesterol and triacylglycerols in rats fed a cholesterol-rich diet. British Journal of Nutrition, 95(5), 916–924. doi:10.1079/bjn20061740