In this short article, we will answer the question “Can you drink coconut milk without cooking”, along with information about coconut milk, and delicious recipes to make with it.
Can you drink coconut milk without cooking?
Yes, coconut milk can be drunk in moderation without cooking, and it contains a naturally sweet taste so no sugar needs to be added. It is free of lactose and hormones, so it serves as a good plant-based dairy substitute rich in vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B, and potassium.
How are coconut milk and coconut cream made?
Coconut milk is made by grating the white flesh of the mature coconuts manually or by a machine. The grated pulp is mixed with hot water, and squeezed continuously by hand, to extract the coconut milk from the pulp. Separation by gravity can also be used to separate the top coconut cream layer from the bottom layer of coconut milk.
Coconut cream is a heavier form of coconut milk, which is extracted via gravity separation, or by pressing the coconut pulp through a cheesecloth. The diluted version of coconut milk can be made by adding water to extracted coconut milk or coconut cream. All versions of coconut milk should be used immediately after extraction.
What are the benefits of drinking coconut milk?
Coconut milk has many benefits to the health such as:
- Growing healthy hair
- Preventing heart disease
- Antiinflammatory properties
- Balancing electrolytes in the body
- Aiding in weight loss
- Strengthening the immune system
- Promoting gastrointestinal health
What happens if you drink too much coconut milk?
Drinking too much coconut milk can lead to stomach pain if the person is allergic to coconuts, and since coconut milk contains high levels of saturated fats and calories, you will gain weight if a lot is drunk. This can lead to health complications such as obesity and high blood cholesterol content.
Is coconut milk good for lactose intolerance?
Yes, coconut milk is good for lactose intolerance, as it does not contain lactose which is difficult for lactose-intolerant people to digest. It serves as a healthy, plant-based alternative to lactose-containing milk, which leads to indigestion and cramps in lactose-intolerant individuals.
How to select the best coconut milk to drink?
- Read the label: Products in the market usually contain additives, flavors, and coloring which can be harmful. Read the label carefully, select coconut milk only containing coconut and water as ingredients, and try to select organic options if possible.
- Use coconut milk cartons: Coconut milk that comes in cartons usually contains lower fat and calories as compared to the milk that comes in cans. Canned food also contains BPA (Bisphenol A) lining, which can lead to reproductive problems, so the best option is to buy cartons of coconut milk. More information about BPA can be found here.
- Make your own coconut milk: If possible, try to make your own coconut milk, as it is the freshest and healthiest form you can use. It takes around 15 minutes to grate and strain coconut milk from pulp, and the milk will be thicker and creamier than store-bought ones.
What dishes can you make with coconut milk?
Coconut milk can be incorporated into many dishes:
- Coconut rice: This decadent rice is simple and easy to make, and only requires a few ingredients. Add jasmine rice, shredded coconut, thick coconut milk, and salt into a rice cooker, and cook until done. Mix the rice after it’s cooked, and serve with a curry such as butter chicken.
- Dirty chai latte: These spicy lattes can be made by adding honey, a shot of espresso, and coconut milk to black tea, along with ground cinnamon or cardamom to add flavor. They are the perfect afternoon pick-me after a long day and can be served warm or cold.
- Coconut layer cake: This moist coconut cake is delicious and it’s the perfect afternoon snack. The cake is made by incorporating grated coconut into the frosting, and coconut milk into the cake batter. The coconut milk gives moisture to the cake, while the frosting covered in grated coconut adds texture.
How do you store leftover coconut milk?
Leftover coconut milk can be safely stored in a sealed container and refrigerated. This will last for up to 5 days, but it can also be frozen to last for up to a month. However, it is recommended to use fresh coconut milk immediately after extraction, to give the cooked food the best flavor.
How to tell if the coconut milk is spoiled?
Spoiled coconut milk will have a sour smell, and contain mold growing on the surface or the edge of the container. The texture will also be clumpy, creating dark-colored clumps. If these signs are visible, the coconut milk should be discarded immediately, to prevent foodborne illness.
Other FAQs about Coconut that you may be interested in.
In this short article, we have answered the question “Can you drink coconut milk without cooking”, along with information about coconut milk, and delicious recipes to make with it.