Can you defrost pita bread in the microwave?
In this brief guide, we will discuss the question “can you defrost pita bread in the microwave”, what is pita bread, the culinary uses of pita bread, how to defrost pita bread in the microwave, the precautions to take to ensure a properly defrosted pita bread and other methods to consider for defrosting pita bread.
Can you defrost pita bread in the microwave?
You can confidently defrost pita bread in the microwave at any time of the day when needed. The microwave is a versatile kitchen appliance that makes cooking in the home quick and easy. The appliance can defrost frozen foods which cut down the long periods required for thawing before cooking.
What is pita bread?
Pita bread is a round and flatted yeast-leavened bread traditionally prepared from plain flour (maida) or alternative flour from wheat and other grains. Pita bread is usually pale white in appearance, soft and spongy.
The name pita is the Greek expression for flat as it appears.
The bread has two interior layers that separate from each other to form internal pockets when baked on a heated pan due to high-temperature changes.
What is the history of pita bread?
Pita bread traditionally originates from Turkey, Greece and the Middle Eastern countries. Fortunately, the popularity of the bread has grown beyond these countries and spread to the United States, England, Australia and the African continent.
Pita bread is called various names such as Arabic bread, Syrian bread, Lebanese, pockets, shami, mafrood, burr, beiruti and khobz by different countries.
What are the culinary uses of pita bread?
Pita bread is used in the preparation of popular dishes such as falafel, hummus, shawarma, pita pizza, pita chips and more. In certain places, the pita bread is equally stuffed with kebabs, coleslaws, cheese, tikkas, patties of different varieties and more for a complete dish.
How can you defrost pita bread in the microwave?
Your pita bread can be defrosted in the microwave within the shortest possible time.
To have an adequately defrosted pita bread in the microwave, just follow these steps;
- Remove the pita bread from the freezer and place them in a microwave safe bowl for defrosting. Otherwise, you may also leave the pita bread in the freezer safe bag or wrap them in aluminium foil packaging for defrosting.
- Keep the pita bread in the microwave and press the defrost button or adjust the microwave power setting to 50 to 60% and start defrosting. The pita bread will be completely thawed and softened in a couple of 1 to 2 minutes.
- Thereafter, you may re-adjust the microwave to full power setting to heat up and cook the pita bread for 15 to 20 seconds to heat up. Now, your pita bread is ready to be consumed or used in making your dish.
What precautions can you take to ensure properly defrosted pita bread?
To ensure properly defrosted pita bread for your savoury dishes, the key tips listed below will go a long way to help.
- Always defrost your pita bread starting at a low power setting to avoid drying out and becoming hard.
- Remember to cover the pita bread with a microwave cover or dish towel before defrosting to avoid drying out.
- Also, if you are defrosting a little more stack of pita bread, you may separate them from each other using a paper towel to prevent them from becoming soggy.
- You may also sprinkle a small amount of water on the frozen pita bread before thawing to ensure that they attain the desired softness.
What other ways can you defrost your pita bread?
Pita bread is undoubtedly one of the easy foods to defrost after they have been frozen. Several different methods for defrosting pita bread are available including refrigeration, room temperature or countertop, pan top or skillet, oven and the open flame methods.
- When defrosting by the refrigeration method, you need to move your pita bread from the freezer to the bottom rack of your fridge allowing it to sit for 1 to 2 hours and the pita bread if fully thawed.
- By the countertop method, you just need to spread your pita bread singly on a plate and allow it to thaw slowly and completely for about 30 to 45 minutes while sitting at room temperature. You should also flip them over at time intervals to ensure thorough and fast thawing.
- The pan top or skillet and oven process work similarly. All you need to do is to heat the pan on fire or in the oven until hot and later re-adjust the flame to medium to low heat. Place the pita bread wrapped in aluminium singly in the pan and cover up to defrost.
- By the open flame method, you may leave the pita bread on the countertop for a few minutes and expose them individually using kitchen tongs to the flame for some seconds, ensuring that you are continually flipping them until well thawed to prevent burning and drying out at a certain part.
Other FAQs about Bread that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we have discussed the question “can you defrost pita bread in the microwave, what pita bread is and its history, culinary uses of pita bread, how to defrost pita bread in the microwave, the precautions to ensure proper thawing of pita bread, and the alternative methods for defrosting pita bread.