In this brief guide, we will discuss the question “can you defrost pepperoni in the microwave”, what pepperoni is, the safe and unsafe ways to defrost pepperoni in the microwave, and the dos and don’ts after defrosting your pepperoni in the microwave.
Can you defrost pepperoni in the microwave?
Yes, you can defrost pepperoni in the microwave. This happens to be the fastest and easiest way to get your pepperonis ready for a quick meal at any time of the day. If only you forgot to move that delicious goodness out of the freezer to the fridge to thaw, then this will be your life saver.
All you have got to do is to remove your pepperoni from the freezer and pop them into the microwave following the correct instructions.
What is pepperoni?
- Pepperoni is a dried, cured and spiced sausage made from a mixture of ground beef and pork or pork only. The meat mix is combined with salt, sugar and spices and inoculated with lactic acid bacteria responsible for fermenting and curing the meat to give pepperoni its characteristic flavour.
- Pepperonis are usually irresistible as part of our favourite dishes such as pizzas, sandwiches, salads, macaroni and toppings in many fancy recipes.
What are the safe ways to defrost pepperoni in the microwave?
On a busy day when you forget to move your pepperonis to the fridge for thawing? Or can’t wait a long time for your frozen pepperonis to thaw in cold water? The safest alternative will be to use the microwave.
- To safely defrost your pepperonis, remove the pepperonis from the original packaging material and place them in a microwave safe bowl before popping the pepperonis into your microwave.
Plug on your microwave and use the defrost setting taking into consideration the weight of the pepperonis, then hit the start button. Your pepperoni thaws in a jiffy and is ready for use.
- When defrosting, the defrost setting of the microwave works at a lower power of 30 to 50% of the microwave’s full power. The low power helps to thaw out the centre of the meat without cooking the outside, hence allowing the frozen pepperonis to thaw slowly and evenly, not risking the multiplication of bacteria.
- On the other hand, if your microwave happens to be an old version, and does not have the defrost button, it can still do the task perfectly. You only need to change the power setting of your microwave to 30-50% considering for each pound of meat a period of 8 to 10 minutes.
What are the unsafe ways to defrost pepperoni in the microwave?
However, it is unsafe to defrost your pepperoni at the full power setting of the microwave.
- When you defrost at the full power setting of the microwave, some parts of the meat become warm fast and start to cook. This may lead to overcooking of those parts of the meat and also compromise the meat texture.
- Similarly, when you defrost at the full power setting of the microwave, it warms quickly bringing the meat to a danger zone. In the danger zone, there is a potential for the rapid growth of bacteria in the meat, thus making it unsafe.
What to do after defrosting your pepperonis in the microwave
The first thing to do after defrosting your pepperonis in the microwave is to cook them immediately. This was your main motive for choosing the fastest and easiest microwave defrosting method.
What you can’t do after defrosting your pepperonis in the microwave
- Never leave your pepperonis on the countertop after defrosting. When the meat sits at room temperature, it continues to defrost, thus warming up faster and increasing the risk of bacterial growth.
- Again, never defrost more pepperonis than you can use at a time and take the remaining back to the freezer. The slow thawing and freezing of the meat expose them to the danger zone where bacterial growth may become rapid and result in food poisoning when consumed.
Other FAQs about Sausages that you may be interested in.
In this blog we have discussed the question “can you defrost pepperoni in the microwave”, what pepperonis are, the safe and unsafe ways of defrosting pepperoni in the microwave and the actions to take after defrosting your pepperonis in the microwave.