Can you cook ramen in the microwave?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can you cook ramen in a microwave” with an in-depth analysis of the different methods we can use to cook ramen through the microwave. Moreover, we are also going to discuss some measures that should be taken into consideration while cooking ramen in the microwave to avoid the exposure to bad experiences.
Can you cook ramen in the microwave?
Yes, you can cook ramen using a microwave. Microwave-cooked ramen is no different than that cooked on a stove. Both methods involve boiling water and then addition of ramen noodles and flavorings. The main difference is in the processing time as well as in the temperature level as microwaves heat the water more quickly and may cause the superheating of the mixture.
Ramen is a Japanese food that is now common all around the world. It is a noodle soup, combined with flavored broth and usually added with different vegetables, beans, meats, such as scallions, pork, and topped with mushrooms and a boiled egg.
Methods for cooking ramen:
Ramen can be cooked in the microwave through 3 different methods.
- Unpack the ramen noodles from the packet and place them in a bowl. You can either break the noodles to make them shorter and a spoonful or keep them as it is.
- Add the water in a bowl to the level that the noodles are completely covered with water or to the extent you want to make broth.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and turn it on for about 5-10 minutes depending upon how much you want to cook the noodles.
- After the beep, let the noodles stand for about 3 minutes within the microwave.
- Add the packet containing flavorings and stir the noodles with a fork or chopstick. Now, you can enjoy your quickly made ramen.
- Take 1-2 cups of water or more if you want to make your ramen soupy.
- Place the bowl of water in the microwave and heat the water for 2-3 minutes. This temperature will heat the water molecules enough but you will not be able to see simmering or boiling in water.
- Place noodles in another bowl. Add seasonings from the packet on the top of noodles.
- Pour boiling water into the bowl containing noodles.
- Cover the ramen with a lid and let it stand for 3-5 minutes. The ramen noodles will absorb water and will become soft. Now, you can consume the quickly made product.
You can also make your ramen noodles fancy by supplementing the flavorings with condiments as well as adding vegetables, beans or meats to make the ramen noodles more delicious and nutritious.
- Take different vegetables, beans and meat in the bowl, add a small amount of water and place the bowl in the microwave for 10-12 minutes for cooking them.
- Take out the bowl and add noodles in it. Make sure enough water is present to be absorbed by ramen noodles. Cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes.
- After cooking, do not take out the bowl immediately. Let it stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Top the noodles with chopped herbs if you want to add any.
- Add eggs at the top of the ramen. The addition of egg will impart an incredible taste and look to the ramen.
Measures to be taken while cooking ramen in microwave:
Sometimes, the water in the bowl may splatter overheating in the microwave. This may happen due to the boiling of liquid caused by excessive heating. The best way to handle this issue is to cover the bowl with a lid.
Use microwave safe bowls as many materials, such as Styrofoam are known to be associated with the production of toxic chemicals such as Bisphenol A (BPA) that are leached out of the material when heated under the microwave.
To ensure that the ramen noodles are cooked evenly throughout the bowl, stop the microwave halfway cooking and stir the mixture thoroughly.
Do not take out the bowl of noodles immediately after cooking, as eating noodles immediately or handling the bowl with bare hands may cause burning of hands. Thus, one should be careful while handling the hot products to protect hands and mouth.
Some people might think that the use of ultraviolet rays is harmful to human health by causing cancer. But this is not true. Recent researches have found the use of microwave-safe to cook food without posing any risk of chemical hazards.
You can read how to make Japanese ramen noodle soup here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you cook ramen in a microwave” with an in-depth analysis of the different methods used to cook ramen while using the microwave. Moreover, we also discussed how and why we can avoid the bad consequences by taking some precautionary measures while using a microscope for cooking ramen.