In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can you cook pizza in a toaster oven?” with an in-depth analysis of why and how we can cook pizza in a toaster oven. Moreover, we are going to discuss the ways we can actually bake a pizza in a toaster oven.
So without much ado let’s dive in and find out more about it.
Can we cook pizza in a toaster oven?
Yes, we can cook pizza in a toaster oven. It may require certain minor changes to cook pizza in a toaster oven but if the instructions are followed adequately then it can be a success otherwise pizza can be either burnt or soggy.
Steps to cook pizza in a toaster oven
- Prepare the pizza dough with all the ingredients.
- Preheat the toaster oven to the maximum temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- A toaster oven is usually small, so try preparing the dough according to the size of the toaster. If the dough is larger than the toaster-size, you will have to cut it in half. This will cause the ingredients to flow out of the crust while cooking.
- Place the prepared dough on the rack, inside the toaster. This will provide direct contact between the dough and flame.
- After placing the dough inside the toaster, immediately lower the temperature of the toaster by slowing down the burner.
- After the temperature inside the toaster is maintained, leave the dough to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the toaster to check whether the dough and ingredients are getting baked properly.
- After 15 minutes, check the pizza. A total of 20 to 25 minutes is enough for baking a pizza in a toaster oven.
- After 20-25 minutes your pizza is ready in a toaster oven.
Dos and don’ts of baking a pizza in a toaster oven
- Wash and clean the toaster rack thoroughly before using it to avoid any immersion of unwanted taste of already present food particles.
- Remove any bread crumbs or pieces of cheese etc from the oven to prevent the burning of these particles while baking the pizza.
- Do not use a tray to place the pizza dough in the toaster oven. The tray will act as an insulator and will prevent the heat from properly cooking the dough and the ingredients. As a result, you may have an overcooked crust with an undercooked center portion.
- Trays stop proper baking of the crust, so using a tray for placing the dough for baking can result in a soggy crust.
- Prepare the dough in accordance with the size of the toaster. Freshly prepared dough is very elastic, if it does not fit in the toaster, cutting it in half can result in overflowing of the ingredients and a bad presentation and taste.
- Preheat the oven to the fullest before placing the dough for baking. Without adequate preheating, the pizza will not be baked as it should be. Some parts will be cooked while others remaining half cooked.
- If you preheat the toaster oven at 375 Fahrenheit, bring it down to at least 325 Fahrenheit after the dough starts getting cooked. Slow down the flame after pre-heating as soon as you put the dough inside the toaster. Inside the toaster, the food is in direct contact with the flame so if you leave the flame high, it will burn the crust.
- Always use gloves and spatula or tongs for taking out the pizza. You should remain at a short distance and should keep your face away will opening the toaster oven because immense heat that is trapped inside the toaster comes out quickly on opening the toaster and can burn your hands and face.
You can read how to make white pizza sauce here.
Other FAQs about Pizza which you may be interested in.
Can we cook frozen pizza dough in a toaster oven?
Yes, a frozen pizza can be cooked in a toaster oven but care should be taken in this regard.
Why frozen pizzas are restricted from being baked in a toaster oven?
Companies that manufacture frozen food items test their products in conventional baking ovens. There is a huge difference between the temperatures of conventional and toaster ovens, so if you will bake their frozen pizza in a toaster oven rather than a conventional oven, it can affect the overall taste and texture of the pizza. The results will not probably come out as desired. In response, you will mistrust the concerned food company and won’t buy their products again.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you cook pizza in a toaster oven?” with an in-depth analysis of how can we cook pizza in a toaster oven. Moreover, we discussed the steps, dos, and don’ts of cooking pizza in a toaster oven along with answering the question related to frozen pizza.