Can you cook Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can you cook Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker” and discuss what are the benefits of cooking Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker and other forms of cooking Knorr rice sides.
Knorr Rice Sides are ready-to-cook dry mixes containing raw rice or pasta added with ingredients such as dried vegetables and powdered spices, as well as fats and other additives (4).
Can you cook Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker?
Yes, you can cook Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker. Rice cooker can be used to cook many types of foods and not only rice. It is suitable to cook any rice dishes, pasta dishes, dishes containing vegetables, soups and desserts (1,2).
Rice cooker was considered the cheapest cooking device option among the electric choices of cooking devices in a study in Bangladesh. It was also the most used. Because it runs automatically and does not need supervision, a rice cooker is a practical option to cook rice sides (3).
How to cook Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker?
To cook Knorr rice sides in the rice cooker, just place 1 ¾ water and the Knorr rice side mix inside the rice cooker and turn the automatic cooking option on (4).
How can a rice cooker cook Knorr rice sides?
Here is briefly how the rice cooker can cook Knorr rice side (1,4):
- When the rice cooker is turned on in the automatic function, the heat begins and allows the rice mix to cook with the added water.
- The water is absorbed by the rice while cooking, and boiling water maintains the temperature constant at cooking temperature (around 100°C).
- By the automatic cooking option, the thermoset will turn down the cooking heat as soon as the water is totally absorbed by the rice mix, and the temperature inside the cooker rises (to above 100°C).
- The cooker will then automatically turn to the “keep warm” function, and maintain the cooked Knorr rice side warm till the rice cooker machine is turned off.
What are the benefits of cooking Knorr Rice Sides in a rice cooker?
The benefits of cooking Knorr rice sides in the rice cooker are related to the many benefits of using a rice cooker, such as (1,2,3,4):
- The rice cooker is programmable and is able to cook within a wide range of temperatures and time settings, which permit the precise cooking of the Knorr rice and pasta dishes
- The rice cooker can be programmed in advance and you don’t need to be home to cook the rice side dish
- The rice cooker then turns itself off and therefore needs no supervision while cooking
- Cooking of knorr rice side in a rice cookers can keep you cooked dish warm for many hours safely after being cooked
- The rice cooker has a better energy efficiency than stove top and therefore helps save energy
What are the drawbacks of cooking Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker?
The drawbacks of cooking Knorr rice sides in the rice cooker are the following (1,2):
- Users of rice cookers report that rice cookers takes longer to cook than other cooking devices (such an induction plate)
- The amount of water needed is not the same as when cooking on the stovetop, which can lead to different consistency of the rice
- After cooking Knorr rice sides in the rice cooker, it will be necessary to properly clean the rice cooker, which could be a time-consuming task
- Rice cookers need electricity to operate. Besides being an energy of high cost in several countries, electricity can eventually go out.
What are the other options to cook Knorr Rice Sides?
The other options of cooking Knorr rice sides are the following (2,5):
In the stovetop:
1. Boil the Knorr rice side mix with 1 ¾ cups of water in a pan
2. As soon as it boils, stir the cooking mix with a spoon and reduce the heat
3. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 7 minutes or until rice is tender
4. Turn the heat off and let the dish stand for at least 2 minutes
In the microwave:
1. Mix the Knorr rice side mix with 1 ¾ cups of water in a microwave-safe cooking dish
2. Microwave uncovered at high power for about 16 minutes or until rice is tender (add more water if necessary)
3. Stir and let the dish stand for at least 2 minutes
Other FAQs about Rice that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you cook Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker” and discussed what are the benefits of cooking Knorr rice sides in a rice cooker and other forms of cooking Knorr rice sides.
- Cang, Voltaire. Rice Cooking in Japan. The Development of the Rice Cooker and the Vagaries of Rice Consumption in Japan. e-Phaïstos. J history technol, 2022, X-1.
- Saha, Avijit, Md Abdur Razzak, and M. Rezwan Khan. Electric Cooking Diary in Bangladesh: Energy Requirement, Cost of Cooking Fuel, Prospects, and Challenges. Energies, 2021, 14, 6910.
- Lhaden, Jigme, et al. Household Energy Use–Clean and Energy Efficient Cooking Solution–a case study of Chhukha Dzongkhag. Int J Scient Res, 2019, 2, 291-297.
- Ahamed, Raju, et al. Modeling and performance analysis of electric rice cooker. Proceedings of the Conference: 3rd International Conference on Mathematical Applications in Engineering. 2014.
- Knorr rice and pasta sides