In this brief guide, we will discuss the question “can you cook gnocchi in the oven?” We will also discuss other queries related to the subject at hand.
Can you cook gnocchi in the oven?
Yes, you can cook gnocchi in the oven. Actually, baked gnocchi is super easy and simple as you don’t have to pre-boil the gnocchi as it will be cooked directly in the sauce. For more information about cooking gnocchi in the oven, just keep reading this article.
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi can be considered as a very famous Italian dish. Gnocchi mainly consists of small lumps of dough and this dough consists of more than one ingredient such as semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potatoes, breadcrumbs, cornmeal or other similar ingredients.
How can you cook gnocchi in the oven?
There are many recipes in which gnocchi is cooked in the oven. One of these recipes is the super tasty and delicious baked gnocchi with bacon, tomato and mozzarella recipe. And to prepare this recipe, you just have to get the following ingredients and apply the following steps:-
Ingredients needed to prepare the baked gnocchi with bacon, tomato and mozzarella recipe
- 500 grams of store-bought gnocchi.
- 250 grams of chopped bacon.
- 2 cloves of garlic which are crushed.
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- One 400 gram tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Handful of halved cherry tomatoes.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of cream or yogurt.
- Fresh chopped parsley.
- Salt to taste.
- Pepper to taste.
- 100 grams of sliced mozzarella cheese.
Directions to prepare the baked gnocchi with bacon, tomato and mozzarella recipe
- Preheat the oven to around 200 degrees.
- Get a large pot, fill it with salted water and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Fry the bacon until crispy in a large frying pan.
- Add the garlic and the paprika and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add all of the tomatoes and the sugar and then allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream or the yogurt and the parsley.
- Cook the gnocchi in the salted water until it floats to the top, remove the gnocchi using a slotted spoon and add it into the sauce.
- Transfer the gnocchi and the sauce into an oven-proof dish, top with the sliced mozzarella, place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes until the mozzarella is golden and melted.
- After that, remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy this tasty meal.
Information you need to know when you prepare this recipe
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
|Number of servings||2 to 3 servings|
How to store cooked gnocchi?
You can safely store the cooked gnocchi. If you plan to keep it for more than a month, the safest option is to freeze the gnocchi. On the other hand, if you plan to store it for days, you can refrigerate the cooked gnocchi.
Storing the cooked gnocchi in the refrigerator
Follow these steps if you want to refrigerate the cooked gnocchi:
- Place the cooked gnocchi in an airtight container with a lid.
- Cover the container tightly.
- Label the container with both the storage and the expiration dates.
- Place the covered container into the refrigerator.
- This container can be safely stored in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Storing the cooked gnocchi in the freezer
Follow these simple steps if you want to freeze the cooked gnocchi:
- Freeze the gnocchi directly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once frozen, transfer the frozen gnocchi pieces into freezer bags and seal them tight.
- Place these freezer bags into the freezer.
- When you want to eat gnocchi, just thaw the frozen previously cooked gnocchi in the microwave for 2 minutes.
What are the other available methods to make use of the cooked gnocchi leftovers?
If you want to save these leftovers from the cooked gnocchi, you can simply follow these different tips:
- Use leftover gnocchi for ravioli or lasagna as your filling.
- Add leftover gnocchi to your soup or your pasta dish.
- Use leftover gnocchi as a topping on your pizza.
- Use leftover gnocchi as your meatball or chicken balls stuffing.
What are the signs of spoiled gnocchi?
To tell if the gnocchi is bad, you can check the following signs:
- Observe the color and the texture of the gnocchi pieces. If they feel mushy or sticky, discard the gnocchi.
- Check the smell of the gnocchi. Gnocchi should have a nutty odor. Other than that, discard the gnocchi.
Are there any good gnocchi recipes?
Yes there are many tasty and delicious recipes which contain gnocchi cooked in the oven. One of these recipes is the tasty baked caprese gnocchi. For the full details about the ingredients and the directions of this recipe, you can check here.
In this guide, we have discussed the question “can you cook gnocchi in the oven?” We also have discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.