In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “can you cook frozen fried okra in an air fryer” with an in-depth analysis of the cooking of frozen okra pieces in an air fryer that will require more time than that for cooking freshly breaded okra pieces.
Moreover, we are going to highlight different recipes and cooking methods that can be used to cook freshly breaded okra, frozen okra, and reheat okra.
Can you cook frozen fried okra in an air fryer?
Air fried okra are crispy snacks just like chicken wings, pickles, or potatoes. The okra, frozen after doing initial steps, such as covering with cornmeal or breading with flour can be fried in an air fryer and as a result, a perfect crispy golden-brown snack is prepared.
Freshly breaded okra in an air fryer:
- Take fresh okra, clean, and wash them.
- Cut the okra into 1 or 2 inch thick slices, remove the top and bottom tip from each of the okra pieces.
- Take flour in one bowl and whisked eggs in another bowl. In the third bowl, mix cornmeal, breadcrumbs, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Dip the okra piece in the flour, then in the egg, and then in the cornmeal mixture. Make sure that the okra pieces are completely covered with flour or cornmeal mixture. You may also do multiple coatings to make them more crispy and tasty.
- Do the same method for all the pieces.
- You can freeze some pieces if they are more than your need or you can intentionally prepare more to freeze some for later use.
- Preheat the air fryer to about 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the freshly prepared breaded okra pieces into the air fryer cooking basket.
- Spray the okra pieces with a small amount of oil and then cook them for just 7 to 8 minutes. For spraying, you can use oils other than the normally used vegetable oils as this may impart specific flavors to the okra.
- After 7 to 8 minutes, remove the basket and take out the okra pieces from the basket in a serving dish.
- You can sprinkle some salt or pepper on okra pieces and enjoy them. They can also be served with some dip, ketchup, mayonnaise, sauce, or even with tea to enhance the flavor as well as the enjoyment.
Frozen okra in an air fryer:
For cooking or frying frozen okra in an air fryer, you need to slightly make a change in the standard recipe used for cooking freshly prepared breaded okra. Some of the directions used for frying frozen okra in an air fryer are as follows:
- Preheat the air fryer to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the frozen okra in the air fryer and cook them for about 14 minutes. This cooking time is greater than that used for freshly prepared okra as freezing can harden the vegetables or foods.
- After 14 minutes, remove the okra pieces and enjoy them.
Reheating okra in an air fryer:
You can also reheat okra pieces using an air fryer. For this, preheat the air fryer to about350 degrees Fahrenheit and place the leftover okra pieces in an air fryer basket. Allow the pieces to be cooked for 3 minutes. Once the okra pieces are warmed, remove them from the air basket.
Tips to make the best okra in an air fryer:
- Use the fork to shift the okra pieces from one bowl to another.
- You can prepare extra okra and freeze them for later use. This may require a greater effort at the start, but once you have prepared enough, next time you can prepare these crispy snacks in no time.
- Serve the crispy okra with sauces and you may sprinkle salt and pepper to enhance the flavor.
- Instead of eggs, milk can also be used.
- Try to use oils with high smoke points as they are stable to heat and can give a unique flavor to the okra.
- You can stack the okra pieces in an air fryer but make sure that the basket is not filled too much that it becomes difficult to circulate properly through the pieces and cook the food.
You can find more amazing recipes here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “can you cook frozen fried okra in an air fryer” with an in-depth analysis of the cooking of frozen okra in an air fryer that takes longer than cooking fresh okra as freezing can harden most of the base ingredients added in the recipe.
Moreover, we discussed that how to prepare breaded okra and how to cook different kinds of okra, including freshly breaded okra, frozen okra, and reheating leftover okra through adjusting the time and temperature inside the air fryer as the other process should be kept the same for cooking or reheating.