In this article, we will answer the question “Can you cook a frozen pizza in the microwave?”, and how long should you cook frozen pizza in the microwave?
Can you cook a frozen pizza in the microwave?
Yes, you can cook frozen pizza in the microwave. It saves time and effort. Pizza is everyone’s favorite especially because it is so versatile. From crust to toppings, you can modify anything to your personal preference. Thin-crust, stuffed-crust, a gluten-free crust, cauliflower crust are only a few options for making the crust of your pizza.
If pizza is your comfort food and you have a frozen pizza in the storage. All you have to do is put it in the oven and let it cook. If the instructions are not available or you want a detailed guide on cooking your frozen pizza in the microwave, this article is all you need. Read on if you want to know how to cook frozen pizza in the microwave and how to make your own at home.
How to cook a frozen pizza in the oven?
Just remove the plastic and the aluminum wrap and place the pizza on a microwave-friendly plate or dish. Microwaving your pizza might result in a soggy crust. Moreover, the crust might not develop a golden color for it to look baked. To overcome this problem, try the following options:
- Place a microwave-safe gauze or a disc between the pizza and the microwave plate. This will prevent it from becoming soggy due to condensation. Alternatively, you should buy a frozen pizza that comes with a disc-like this.
- Use a browning pan or a microwave crisper pan. This will make the crust crispier and visually appealing due to a more evenly browned crust.
- If you do not have a crisper pan, place your pizza on the stove pan to make it crispy from the bottom.
How long should you cook frozen pizza in the microwave?
The cooking time depends on the watt capacity of your microwave. The following table is designed according to an 1100 watt microwave oven.
|Size of pizza||Microwave cooking time|
|8-9 inches||4-6 minutes|
|10-11 inches||5-7 minutes|
|11-12 inches||7-11 minutes|
|French bread or thick crust pizza||7-8 minutes|
|Mini pizza inches||5-7 minutes|
For optimum results, it is recommended to follow the instructions on the frozen pizza package.
Is frozen pizza healthy?
Considering the nutritional profile, eating a frozen pizza once in a while won’t do you any harm. A medium-sized frozen pizza cooked in the microwave contains the following in approximate amounts.
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 18g
- Carbs: 38g
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 810 mg — 34 percent of the RDI value
The healthful aspect of the frozen pizzas depends on how you make them. Adding a lot of cheese to the toppings will make it an unhealthy choice. Similarly, eating frozen pizzas every other day will not be a good option. The key is a balanced diet.
How to make your own frozen pizza at home?
- Choose your favorite toppings and the crust.
- You can either use store-bought pizza crust or make your own if you have the time.
- Now comes the most important step i.e parboiling your pizza. You can either par-bake only the crust and add the toppings later or you can parboil the crust with the toppings.
- For parbaking, preheat your oven at 232°C and par-bake your crust for 3-5 minutes. The crust will rise a little and appear puffier. It should have a pale color and a dry top.
- Let the crust come to room temperature. Add your toppings, cheese, and pizza sauce. This step is optional. You can do it later as well.
- Now pre-freeze your pizza on a baking tray for about 3 hours without covering it.
- Wrap the pizza using a thick plastic sheet. Wrap again using a thick aluminum foil. Put the wrapped pizza in the freezer.
What other ways can you cook frozen pizza?
A preheated and seasoned cast-iron skillet is the best option to make your frozen pizza crispier. Let the frozen pizza thaw before cooking it on the skillet.
Thaw your frozen pizza and put it on the preheated griddle at 400-425°F for 4-6 minutes or until the cheese melts and the crust is browned. Cover it with a lid.
The oven is the best way to bake your frozen pizza to a crispy texture. Simply preheat your oven at 450°F and place your pizza on the middle rack. Bake until the cheese melts and the crusts turn golden-brown.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you cook a frozen pizza in the microwave?”, and how long should you cook frozen pizza in the microwave?