In this article, we will answer the following question: Can you buy Pad Thai sauce? We will tell you where to buy it from, but also how to make your own Pad Thai sauce at home and also how to cook this interesting dish!
Can you buy Pad Thai sauce?
You can buy Thai sauce in the US from “Thai Kitchen” which sells an original, gluten-free Pad Thai sauce that you can use for different dishes. “Thai Kitchen” can be found at your local Walmart, at Albertsons, Instacart or on Amazon.
You can also buy original Pad Thai sauce in most Asian supermarkets along with the other ingredients that you need for this dish. Or you can make it yourself at home, with just a few ingredients.
Ideally, you will use a mix of oyster sauce and tamarind paste to make your own Pad Thai sauce, but if these ingredients are too difficult to find (depending on your location) you can also make the sauce with: brown sugar, fish sauce, 1 lime (or lemon) and ketchup. As you can see from minute 11 of this video.
How to make Pad Thai at home
One of the most famous dishes among tourists who travel is the famous Pad Thai or fried noodles. A star dish of street cuisine, Pad Thai is the perfect option to eat between meals and for those who are not into the spicy food so typical of Thailand.
If your idea is to cook it at home, we leave you below our simple recipe to know how to make Pad Thai and enjoy the flavour of the country with your friends or family.
- The first thing we should do is soak the noodles in water to soften and hydrate them … if we don’t do so, the noodles would be hard.
- We prepare and cut the ingredients. These would be prawns (which we leave only with the tail), tofu (which we cut into small cubes), chives or Chinese onion (which we cut finely) and garlic (which we cut finely)
- In a frying pan or wok (this container would be the ideal one) we heat the oil and fry the garlic, tofu and prawns.
- When the sauce is coloured, add the drained noodles along with a tablespoon of tamarind sauce, fish sauce, sugar (if it can be palm it would be ideal), soy sauce and stir well until the noodles have taken colour.
- Next, we add the egg, let it sit and mix well with all the ingredients.
- As the last step we will add the bean sprouts and the cut chives.
- We stir and serve the dish decorated with a little ground peanut, a piece of lime and chilli powder for those who like spicy food.
As you can see, it is very easy to learn how to make Thai Pad Thai at home. All that remains is to enjoy the dish!
Homemade Thai Pad – Ingredients for 4 people
- 100 gr of hard tofu per person
- 100 gr of prawns, shrimp or equivalent per person.
- 100 gr of chives per person.
- 1 egg per person.
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind sauce.
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and fish sauce.
- 100 gr of bean sprouts per person.
- 1 tablespoon ground peanut.
- 1 spoon of sugar.
- 1 piece of lime per person.
Tips for the best Pad Thai
- If you cook for friends, the idea is to make the dish per person. Once all the ingredients are ready, it only takes 5 min to cook them.
- The ideal is to eat the plate with chopsticks, if you do not know how to use them, eat it with a fork and spoon as if they were spaghetti.
- If you are vegan or vegetarian, try changing the prawns for mushrooms. If you are vegan, do not use the egg. Also, avoid fish sauce and use soy sauce and salt.
- All the ingredients can be found in specialized Asian food stores.
- The dish is better if you prepare it in a wok. If you are crazy about cooking, we advise you to buy a wok on the trip and bring it as a souvenir. If not, you can find it in specialized stores.
- Take advantage of your trip to Thailand and take a cooking course. You will learn to cook many dishes and you will know Thai cuisine.
Pad Thai is undoubtedly the best-known dish in Thai cuisine, which has another of its most popular dishes in Som Tum Kung. It is a very common dish in the daily life of Thais, it is not labelled with a specific time of year and it is eaten both with lunch and dinner. Pad Thai is usually eaten as the sole dish of a meal.
In this article, we answered the following question: Can you buy Pad Thai sauce? We suggested where you can find it on the market, but also how to make your own Pad Thai sauce at home and also how to cook this delightful dish.
Our recommendation is, when buying Pad Thai sauce, to choose reputable options or to go directly to the source, that would be the Asian market in your town. Otherwise, it is simple to cook your own Pad Thai sauce at home and you will need just a few ingredients that you can easily find in your local supermarket.
If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know.
Thaiest.com – Thai Food Dishes You Must Try
Thespruceeats.com – Traditional Thai Recipes
Aboutthatfood.com – Thai Food