In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you boil brown eggs?” We will also discuss whether brown eggs are dyed and do they really differ from white eggs in boiling and what is the best, fastest, and easiest way to boil brown eggs.
Can you boil brown eggs?
Yes, you can boil brown eggs. It is one of the healthiest and easiest ways to consume eggs.
In this article we will answer all the questions you are thinking of right now regarding the difference between brown and white eggs, characteristics of brown eggs, boiling time, and methods with many tips and tricks to make the perfect boiled eggs ever and benefit from their enormous nutrients.
We will not let you wait any longer, so let us start.
Are brown eggs dyed?
The simple answer is no, brown eggs are not artificially dyed and this can be scientifically justified based on the eggshell composition.
In principle, calcium carbonate forms the major component of the eggshell, the natural colour of this mineral is white.
However, during the last hours of shell formation, the natural pigments of the brown egg are added to the shell rendering them brown.
Do brown eggs really differ from white eggs?
When we go to the supermarket to pick up eggs we all stand in front of egg boxes and get puzzled about whether we should choose white or brown eggs?
What usually happens, in this case, is that we finally decide to pick up and choose our egg colours randomly based on the colour we prefer, the appearance of the eggs, or according to their price.
Let me tell you a secret, white and brown eggs are the same and are usually cooked in the same way.
However, the only difference is that the egg colour is influenced by the breed of the chicken. In other words, red hens lay red eggs and white hens lay white eggs. It is that simple.
However, the egg’s quality and taste are highly influenced by the following factors regardless of their colour.
- The freshness of the eggs
- The cooking method of the egg
- The diet of the hen
Are brown eggs shells stronger than white eggs shells?
A recent study has shown that white eggs are lighter than brown eggs because the latter have more weight due to the weight of their shell and albumen (egg white) whereas at the same time they have less yolk.
Based on these biological features, brown eggs shells tend to be stronger than white eggs and crack less easily, perhaps this is the main reason why most people might prefer and decide to buy brown or white eggs.
Does the brown colour affect the boiling of the eggs?
Well, the brown colour does not affect in any way the boiling process of the eggs, since brown and white eggs can be used interchangeably.
The only thing that is affected by the brown colour of boiled eggs is their final presentation and your preference for white or brown colour over the other.
What is the best, fastest, and easiest way to boil brown eggs?
- Fill a boiling pot with water then carefully add the brown eggs you want to boil and make sure that they are entirely covered with water
- Place the pot on the stove over high heat and bring the water to a boil for approximately 15 minutes
- Once the water starts to a rolling boil, turn off the heat then cover the pot with the lid
- Set the timer on and let the eggs sit in the hot water according to the following table to reach the desired doneness
|Boiled brown eggs||SOFT boiled||MEDIUM boiled||HARD boiled|
|Boiling time||3 minutes||6 minutes||12 minutes|
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
- During the brown eggs boiling time, make an ice bath by filling ice and water in a medium bowl
- Once the boiling time is over, carefully transfer the hot brown hard-boiled eggs to the ice bath by using the slotted spoon
- Leave the eggs in the ice bath to cool down for about 10 minutes
- Serve boiled eggs with salt and pepper or add them to salad
- Bon Appetit
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you boil brown eggs?” We have also discussed whether brown eggs are dyed and do they really differ from white eggs in boiling and what is the best, fastest, and easiest way to boil brown eggs.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.