Can you boil binkies
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you boil binkies?” We will also discuss what are the benefits of boiling binkies, when and to what age you should boil your baby’s binkies, and show you an easy and efficient way to boil binkies.
Can you boil binkies?
Yes, you can boil binkies as part of good hygiene to protect your baby from bacteria and keep him healthy because his immune system has not yet fully developed to defend him.
But watch out!!! Boiling binkies does not mean cooking them because their soft texture makes them easily destroyed by the high heat.
So if you are concerned about your baby’s health and binkies hygiene, we share this concern with you and that is why this article will help you boil binkies safely and efficiently to disinfect them from all pathogenic microorganisms without reducing their durability.
What are the benefits of boiling binkies?
We all know that sucking is a basic need for babies to soothe them, relieve toothache, or help them fall asleep, that is why your baby spends as much time chucking and sucking it.
Besides, these binkies may accidentally hit the floor, tabletop, or car seat and pick up germs.
That is why binkies can be a blessing and a curse at the same time and will be highly contaminated and significantly increase the risk of making your baby ill or having thrush, white patches, and uncomfortable sores in his mouth if not cleaned and boiled properly.
For these reasons, boiling has been traditionally used by moms as an effective method to clean, sterilise and disinfect baby’s binkies from bacteria.
To what age should you boil binkies?
It is recommended that you should boil the baby’s binkies until they are 6-9 months old as follows:
- For newborns, premature infants, and babies up to 3 months, you must boil binkies daily (once a day) and this is a must because at this age your baby will be more vulnerable to infections because of his weak immune system that has not yet developed.
- For babies of 3 months and above and when your baby has started the “oral phase” and diverse things go into his mouth such as mini spoons, food, and baby bottles, you can reduce the frequency of boiling and sterilising the binkies and clean it only with hot water and detergent.
When should you boil binkies?
We know what you are asking yourself now, when and how often should you boil binkies, to make this clear first note that binkies must be sterilised by using the boiling method as follows:
- Before their first use, which means once you take them out of the packaging
- Daily according to your baby’s age as explained in the previous section
What is the most efficient way to boil binkies?
To boil binkies is a simple, easy and fast process, here are some steps that you can follow to boil your binkies and sterilise them efficiently:
- Pour water into a clean bowl or pot
- Bring the water to boil on the stove
- Once boiled, put the binkies in the boiling water for approximately 5 minutes
- Let the binkies soak entirely for 2 minutes in the boiling water
- Let the boiling water inside the plastic nipple of the binkies by squeezing it using a pair of tongs
- Pick the binkies out of the water and let them air dry on a clean towel
- Shake the binkies onto your wrist to remove any trapped water out
- Press the air out of the binkies teat and make sure it has completely cooled down before giving it to your baby
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
After we have briefly shown you the basic steps of boiling binkies easily and efficiently, here are some tips that we recommend:
- Always keep an eye on the boiling water level to avoid evaporation and the binkies burning in the pot
- Pouring boiling water over binkies or simply using a kettle is an inefficient way of sterilisation because germs will survive since the heat the binkies are subjected to will not last long enough
- Regularly check your binkies teats for damage that might be induced by heat or after your baby has his teeth
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you boil binkies?” We have also discussed what are the benefits of boiling binkies, when and to what age should you boil your baby’s binkies, and show you an easy and efficient way to boil binkies.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.