In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you boil bananas for baby food?” We will also discuss what are the nutritional benefits of bananas, at what age should you start feeding your baby bananas, and how to choose and make the best homemade banana baby food.
Can you boil bananas for baby food?
Yes, you can boil bananas for baby food, but why bother yourself doing this when they are naturally ready fruits just like avocados!!
Bananas can be simply carried anywhere and fed directly to your baby when he is hungry due to their smooth, soft and squishy texture. They can be easily mashed between the gums of your baby.
So if you decided to start feeding your baby bananas fruits, read carefully this article because we will show you how to introduce bananas into your baby food in a super delicious sweet, and pleasant way according to his age making his first tasting unforgettable so that he will keep asking for more
What are the nutritional benefits of bananas?
Bananas are one of the healthy fruits that can be used for baby food, they are rich in fibres, vitamin B2 and B6, vitamin C, potassium, manganese as well as tryptophan amino acids.
Based on these nutritional elements, adding bananas in moderation as part of a healthy diet has many health benefits for your baby such as
- Promoting healthy growth and development
- Maintaining a normal heartbeat
- Managing hydration levels
- Helping in healthy muscle contraction
- Helping prevent constipation and bloating
- Boosting your baby’s mood and increases the levels of happy hormones mainly by tryptophan amino acid
When should you start feeding your baby bananas?
The unique banana sweet taste, squishy texture, and nutritional composition make this fruit a perfect baby food that is recommended by all paediatrics starting from the age of 4-6 months.
As a mom, you can introduce bananas as the first solid food for your baby either at around 4- 6 months of age as recommended, when you start to wean him, or as soon as he becomes ready to start eating solids.
Adding boiled bananas to your baby’s diet can be done in several ways based on his age, however, keep in mind that each baby is unique and starting solid foods depends on his rate of development,
Here are some signs that show that your baby is ready to start eating solid food, but remember that you should always consult your paediatrician beforehand.
- your baby has solid control of his neck and head
- your baby’s birth weight has doubled
- your baby is opening his mouth when you eat
How do you choose the best banana for your baby food?
If you want to use bananas to make your homemade baby food, you should lookup for the following features:
- a nice yellow colour banana that is blemish-free
- ripe bananas because they are usually sweeter and your baby will naturally and quickly accept its taste
- Avoid green under-ripe bananas because their hard texture makes them difficult for your baby to digest.
How to make banana baby food?
As we explained there is no need to boil bananas for baby food, however, there are many ways you can follow to safely feed him bananas or as a finger food according to his age and body development used for the baby.
Check the table below for a detailed view:
|Banana form||Smooth/ Mashed puree||Chunky puree||Chunks||Handheld|
|Baby age||4-6+ month||6+ month||6+ month||6+ month|
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
How to make banana baby food puree?
Banana puree is a simple and easy way to make baby food, all you have to do is just peel and mash, so here are the steps you can follow:
- Peel a ripe banana then place it in a clean bowl
- Use a fork to simply mash your ripened banana or else use a baby food blender until the banana puree becomes smooth
- Pour some water or few drops of breast milk or formula milk to attain the desired texture and consistency
- Transfer the puree into a serving bowl and start feeding or let him discover the food and eat using his clean fingers
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you boil bananas for baby food?” We have also discussed what are the nutritional benefits of bananas, at what age should you start feeding your baby bananas, and how to choose and make the best homemade banana baby food.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.