In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you boil Avent pacifiers?” We will also discuss what are the Avent pacifiers, can you boil them? How and how often should you boil Avent pacifiers and how can you check the safety of your Avent pacifiers and much more.
Can you boil Avent pacifiers?
Yes, you can boil Avent pacifiers, to protect your baby from bacterial infections and other forms of contamination due to his weak and underdeveloped immune system.
However, boiling Avent pacifiers does not mean you are cooking them since you should be extra cautious due to the soft texture that makes them highly vulnerable to damage by high temperature and heat.
In this article, we will show you why Avent pacifiers are the best choice for your baby, and what technique you should follow to sterilise them from all pathogenic microorganisms, rendering them safe for your baby without reducing their durability.
What are the Avent pacifiers?
Avent pacifiers are produced by Philips and used by medical professionals due to their safe and efficient soothing effect to calm newborns up to three months old, so they form your baby’s first friend.
These pacifiers have unique features that make them a premium choice for your baby’s health and safety, they are BPA-free, latex-free, and made from silicone imitating natural breast to maintain strength, comfort, and durability at the same time.
The shape and texture of Avent pacifiers are in accordance with the American Academy of Paediatric guidelines.
Avent pacifiers are transparent, tasteless, and odourless and designed in the shape of a heart so that they will not bump into your baby’s tiny nose but instead they will easily follow his natural face curves and also promote the natural development of his teeth and gums.
On the other hand, what distinguishes Avent pacifiers from other available brands and makes them highly demanded by moms is that they are dishwasher safe and can be easily cleaned and sterilised in boiling water and the most important thing is that they retain their colour and shape after extended use.
How often should you boil Avent pacifiers?
Sucking is a basic need for babies to soothe them, relieve toothache, or help them fall asleep, that is why your baby spends as much time chucking and sucking Avent pacifiers.
These pacifiers may accidentally fall on the floor, hit a tabletop, or car seat, and become contaminated and loaded with dirt and germs
Therefore, to limit the risk of your baby’s illness or developing thrush, white patches, and uncomfortable sores in his mouth, it is highly recommended that to boil the baby’s Avent pacifiers until they are 6-9 months old due to their weak immune system which makes him more vulnerable to infections as follows:
- For newborns, premature infants, and babies up to 3 months: an average of once per day.
- For babies of 3 months and above and when your baby has started the “oral phase” and diverse things go into his mouths such as mini spoons, food, and baby bottles, you can reduce the frequency of boiling and sterilising the baby’s Avent pacifiers that you are still using and clean it only with hot water and detergent.
When should you boil Avent pacifiers?
Avent pacifiers must be boiled and sterilised in the following conditions:
- Before their first use, once you take them out of the packaging
- Daily after each use
However, keep in mind that you must replace Avent pacifiers after 4 weeks of usage
for hygienic purposes.
How can you boil Avent pacifiers?
Boiling of Avent pacifiers to sterilise them efficiently can be a simple, easy and fast process if you follow these steps:
- Pour water into a clean bowl or pot
- Bring the water to boil on the stove
- Once boiled, put the Avent pacifiers in the boiling water for approximately 5 minutes
- Let the Avent pacifiers soak entirely for 2 minutes in the boiling water
- Let the boiling water inside the silicone Avent pacifiers by squeezing them using a pair of tongs
- Pick the Avent pacifiers out of the water and let them air dry on a clean towel
- Shake the Avent pacifiers onto your wrist to remove any trapped water out
- Press the air out of the Avent pacifiers teat and make sure it has completely cooled down before giving it to your baby
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
How can you check the safety of Avent pacifiers?
As a matter of safety, you must always check the Avent pacifiers manually each time before you give them to your baby, especially after his teeth start to develop.
Besides, you should make sure that there are no hairline cracks in the Avent pacifiers by simply pulling them in all directions. Once you notice any signs of damage or weakness in your baby’s Avent pacifiers, discard them immediately.
Discoloration of the Avent pacifiers is rare, however, if it does happen it will not affect their safety, it is highly recommended to replace the Avent pacifier after 4 weeks of use.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you boil Avent pacifiers?” We have also discussed what are the Avent pacifiers, can you boil them? How and how often should you boil Avent pacifiers and how can you check the safety of your Avent pacifiers
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.