In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you boil a sweet potato?” We will also discuss how you can perfectly boil whole and cubed sweet potatoes as well as the nutritional value of boiled sweet potatoes.
Can you boil a sweet potato?
Yes, you can boil a sweet potato easily and quickly, you can boil them whole or cubed, peeled or not, and still enjoy their perfectly tender and moist texture and delicious taste.
Boiled sweet potatoes are healthy and highly nourishing food. They can be mashed, eaten as a quick side dish, used as a filling for enchiladas and tacos, as a topping for pizza, or added as an ingredient to salads, soups, or other plates.
How can you perfectly boil sweet potatoes?
Boiled sweet potatoes are not only healthy but also delicious. However, note that peeling is optional, in other words, you can leave the skin of the sweet potatoes on to benefit from additional nutrients.
In this section, we will differentiate between boiling whole and cubed sweet potatoes where we will also give you basic instructions and share with you some important tips on how to boil sweet potatoes like a pro every time and benefit from their nutritional value.
So read carefully
What are the basic steps to boiling whole sweet potatoes?
- Find similar-sized sweet potatoes then wash properly underwater
- If you are not going to peel your potatoes, simple rub them to remove all forms of attached debris and bad spots
- Cut by using a knife any protrusions and weird-looking parts on your potatoes
- Pierce the skin of your potato with a fork a few times.
- Pour water into a pot, add some salt and bring it to a boil
- Put your cleaned sweet potatoes in the covered boiling pot for about 30-50 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes
- Test the doneness of your sweet potatoes by simply using a fork pierce or a knife stab to test if they are perfectly tender from the middle
- Transfer your boiled sweet potatoes into a dish and sprinkle some salt, pepper, and paprika and add some oil or butter or you can prepare them with toppings of your choice
- Season your boiled potatoes with a little drizzle of olive oil or butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to enhance their flavor
- Serve your boiled sweet potatoes as a healthy snack or as a side dish with salad, meatloaf, burger, or steak
- Bon appetite
What are the basic steps to boiling cubed sweet potatoes?
- Wash your potatoes using water and a sponge or brush to remove all dirt and debris
- Cut your potatoes into cubes or chunks, but always make sure that their size is small and are as evenly as possible to cook faster at a similar rate
- Put your cubed sweet potatoes into a boiling pot and entirely cover with water
- Add some salt into the boiling pot
- Bring your cubed sweet potatoes to a boil for 12-15 minutes if they are cut into 1-inch cubes and for 20-25 minutes for those cut into 2-inch cubes. Note that the boiling time of the cubed sweet potatoes depends mainly on their type of potatoes and size
- Once the water is boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and keep the lid off while cooking your sweet potatoes until they are soft and tender
- Do not stir your cubed sweet potatoes during the boiling process
- Test if your cubed sweet potatoes are cooked enough by piercing them with a knife or fork every 3-5 minutes to avoid overcooking, it should easily enter into the potato with minimum resistance
- Drain your boiled cubed sweet potatoes by using a colander
- Season your boiled potatoes with a little drizzle of olive oil or butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to enhance their flavor then serve and enjoy
- Bon appetite
What is the nutritional value of sweet potatoes?
Boiling sweet potatoes is a super healthy recipe especially that is boiled not fried which means no oil is used therefore it is low calories so that you can enjoy the sweet tender taste and benefit from their enormous nutrients.
Sweet potatoes are among the most popular, demanded, and nourishing vegetables.
These potatoes have similar amounts of carbs as other potato types but are richer in vitamins A and C.
They also contain several essential nutrients which are needed for your health, these nutrients can be summarised as follows:
- complex carbohydrates
- Vitamin A
- B- complex vitamins
- vitamin C
- folic acid
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you boil a sweet potato?” We have also discussed how you can perfectly boil whole and cubed sweet potatoes as well as the nutritional value of boiled sweet potatoes.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.