In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you bake acrylic paint on metal?” We will also discuss how to prepare acrylic paint on metal for baking, how to bake acrylic paint in an easy and efficient way as well as whether acrylic paints make the metal waterproof.
Can you bake acrylic paint on metal?
Yes, you can bake acrylic paint on metal at high temperatures to get a baked finish as long as you prepare the metal before baking and protect it by applying a varnish or sealant coat.
Acrylic paint is the perfect multipurpose versatile paint that allows you to craft a wide variety of incredible projects such as desks, chairs, tables, doors, shelves, cabinets, outdoor furniture, and much more.
This paint can be easily applied to clean wax and oil-free surfaces including metal. However, you should prepare the metal surface ahead before applying the acrylic paint to ensure it will properly adhere to it.
What are the preparatory steps for baking acrylic paint on metal?
Baking acrylic paint is a perfect technique that you can use to seal and protect the paint colours on metal surfaces.
However, making an incredible metal-painted project using this method requires preparing the metal first before baking, so here are the main steps that you can follow to get long-lasting results.
- Protect your hands from paint by wearing disposable or paint-specific gloves
- Cover with a drop cloth and cleaning rags your belongings and painting area to protect them from paint drops
- Apply the necessary amount of painting tape to protect your exposed surfaces from paint and prevent their damage. Note that the benefit of such a step are that once those tapes are removed they will not leave any sticky residues
- Scrape off old paint and rust from your object’s metal surface by using a wire brush or sandpaper
- Use a cleaner to clean and wipe the metal surface from dust and debris
- Spray evenly 2 coats of metal-specific primer that works with acrylic paint on your clean and dry metal surface to reduce the effect of oxidation
- Allow the primer to dry out completely
- Paint your item’s metal surface smoothly and evenly with two coats of acrylic paint or different colours but make sure to wait for the first coat to completely dry
- Apply a sealer (optional step) to provide your metal surface with long-lasting protection and create a glossy final look even though acrylic paint already provides these properties
How can you bake acrylic paint on metal in a few easy steps?
Even baking acrylic paint on metal seems a complicated and overwhelming technique.
Do not worry, it is not hard as it may sound, it is very easy and requires minimum effort to get great results for your project after preparing the metal as we have shown in the previous section.
In this section, we will guide you on how to bake acrylic paint on metal in a few easy steps after your metal surface has been well prepared and painted, so read carefully:
- Place the acrylic-painted metal item in the oven and bake it for about 30 minutes at a temperature that ranges between 150 – 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Observe the metal item continuously throughout the baking process and watch out for any bubble formation since this is an indication of using a very high temperature that must be slightly reduced
- After the time is up, turn off the oven and let the acrylic-painted metal item cool down completely to be safely handled and removed from the oven.
- Remove the baked acrylic painted metal item from the oven
- Check out the baked metal colour coating for any visible primer to apply the second coat of acrylic paint then bake the metal again
- Now your acrylic-painted metal object is well baked and ready for use.
Does acrylic paint make the metal waterproof?
Despite the few water-resistant properties of acrylic paint it is not totally waterproof.
This type of paint is porous and does not offer any protection against water but rather will soften upon exposure to water.
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you bake acrylic paint on metal?” We have also discussed how to prepare acrylic paint on metal for baking, how to bake acrylic paint in an easy and efficient way as well as whether acrylic paints make the metal waterproof.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.