Can you bake acrylic paint on clay
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you bake acrylic paint on clay?” We will also discuss the basic steps to bake acrylic paint on clay in an oven and how to bake it in an air fryer, as well as the perfect temperature to bake acrylic paint on clay, and whether acrylic paint is heat resistant or not.
Can you bake acrylic paint on clay?
Yes, you can bake acrylic paint on clay and make DIY gifts or decorations with your children in just a few hours.
The good news is that you can either bake it in the oven or in an air fryer, both ways are fine and the result will be just awesome even if you will be surprised.
However, if you bake your clay ahead before painting with acrylic, then you have to protect your painted surface by sanding the baked and sealing it.
Acrylic paint is a versatile type of paint with a wide variety of colours, it is easy to use, fast to dry, and can be safely sealed on the painted item by baking to avoid its peeling when it dries and give it a glossy finish.
What are the basic steps for baking acrylic paint on clay?
Once you have creatively painted your clay, it is time for baking the acrylic paint to give your handmade crafts a final baking touch and ensure the sealing of the colours and make them resistant to washing in a super-easy way.
So if you are a beginner artist or a creatively talented person who loves to make handmade clay designs and is excited to learn more about the technique of baking acrylic paint on clay, then read carefully these steps.
- Let your acrylic painting on clay dry for about 2-3 days
- Place your dry acrylic painted clay in a cold oven so that it will heat gradually
- DO NOT preheat the oven in advance, because this may lead the clay to crack and break down.
- Now that your acrylic-painted clay is inside the oven, heat it to a temperature of about 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake your acrylic painted clay item in the oven for 30 minutes until it acquires a hard plastic feel and is no more soft or flexible
- Turn the oven off after the end of the baking time
- DO NOT try to remove your baked item at this moment because it will be too hot and will burn your hands, instead let your acrylic-painted clay item cool down completely to be safely handled
- Remove your baked acrylic painted clay out from the oven and use it as desired
How can you bake acrylic paint on clay in an air fryer?
Yes, you read that right, you can bake your acrylic painted clay not only in an oven but also in an air fryer since the latter is simply a small fan-forced oven.
Here are the steps that you should follow to bake acrylic paint on clay in an air fryer:
- Lay down the acrylic-painted clay item on an aluminium foil, and make sure it is not standing upright to avoid it shattering or breaking by the forced air
- Put the acrylic painted clay inside the air fryer, then turn it on to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Bake your acrylic-painted clay item for about 8 minutes.
- After the time is up, lift the foil carefully and let your baked acrylic painted clay item cool down.
Is acrylic paint heat resistant?
In principle, all types of acrylic paint are bakeable and tolerate high oven temperatures without melting.
However, here are the best types of acrylic paint that you should consider using next time to paint your clay item:
- Folk Art Enamel Acrylic paints
- Liquitex Professional Heavy Body Acrylic Paints
What is the perfect temperature for baking acrylic paint on clay?
The normal type of acrylic paint usually tolerates dry high temperatures that reach up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit without melting.
But there are also a wide variety of heat-resistant acrylic paints that you can find on the market such as acrylic latex paint which is more heat resistant and tolerates higher temperatures that reach up to 320 degrees Fahrenheit before melting.
For more detailed guidance, please click the link here
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “Can you bake acrylic paint on clay?” We have also discussed the basic steps to bake acrylic paint on clay in an oven and how to bake it in an air fryer, as well as the perfect temperature to bake acrylic paint on clay, and whether acrylic paint is heat resistant or not.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.