In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you bake a cake in a glass pan?” We will also discuss whether it is safe to bake a cake in a glass dish, the main steps and the time needed to bake a cake in a glass pan.
Can you bake a cake in a glass pan?
Yes, you can bake a cake in a glass pan easily, evenly and safely without any risk of uneven baking, burning, cracking, melting, or charring and enjoy the pleasure of making your homemade cake under the following conditions
- the glass pan is oven safe
- reducing the baking temperature by up to 25F
Is it safe to bake a cake in a glass pan in the oven?
Cakes can be safely baked in a glass pan in both normal and fan-assisted or convection ovens as long as they are made of heat resistant glass that is designed to handle and tolerate high temperatures. Otherwise it will be highly dangerous since it will easily crack and shatter.
The usage of these oven proof glass pans such as Pyrex is a great way for baking your cakes because they are not only safe but will also accelerate the baking process as they heat up quickly.
Besides, glass pans are easy to clean and can be also used to properly store your baked cake after.
However, it is always recommended to use low temperatures during the baking process using heat resistant glass pans since glass is not a conductor but rather a good insulator.
In other words the oven safe glass pans will retain heat for a long time compared to ordinary cake pans which will result in uneven baking of your cake and cause it to brown or top burn.
Besides, using such a temperature will protect your oven and the heat resistant glass pan you are using from any possible damage.
12 cups can be held in a 13-by-9-inch pan.
What are the main steps to bake a cake in a glass pan?
As we have seen so far baking a cake in a glass is faster than using a traditional cake pan which unfortunately may end up with burnt-looking parts and more browning if you do not properly master this technique.
Do not worry, it is super easy all that you have to follow these steps after you carefully read the manufacturers’ guidance and instructions according to the glass pan you are using to bake the perfect cake ever.
- Preheat your oven up to 350 F but make sure to reduce this temperature by 25F to ensure that your cake will be slowly and evenly baked without browning
- Grease the glass pan dish sides and bottom entirely and adequately with vegetable oil rather than butter or lightly spray it with oil before placing a baking paper to allow it to hold in place before pouring your cake batter.
- Prepare the cake batter by stirring in a large mixing bowl self raising flour, baking powder, sugar, soft unsalted butter,eggs, semi skimmed milk with vanilla extract or vanilla powder using a stand or an electric hand mixer until they are smooth
Note that you can prepare the cake batter based on your favourite recipe or by simply follow the instruction in this link to make the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Pour the cake batter you prepared into the greased glass pan, however make sure not to overfill them more than half full is right.
- Put the glass pan in the centre of the middle shelf of the oven away from both oven sides to enhance airflow and make sure that the heat is evenly distributed
- Set the timer on to avoid any undesired consequences
- Turn the cake accordingly throughout the baking process
- Bake the cake in the glass pan until its top turns to a bright golden colour.
- Check if your cake is done 5 – 10 minutes before the end of the baking time by inserting a toothpick into its middle where it should come out clean.
- Once your cake is well baked, use kitchen mitts to take the glass dish out of the oven then let it cool on a cooling rack.
- DO NOT put you hot glass dish on a cold, wet or damp surface to avoid shattering
How much time do you need to bake a cake in a glass pan?
The baking time of a cake in a glass pan depends mainly on the cake size and the batter amount which is used according to the table below:
However, you should note that even if you reduce the temperature by 25 F than that required, your cake might bake a little bit faster than the time indicated in your recipe.
Therefore you should monitor your cake carefully throughout the baking process to reduce the temperature even more if needed.
For more detailed guidance, please check the link here
Other FAQs about Cake that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query “Can I bake a cake in a glass pan?” We have also discussed whether it is safe to bake a cake in a glass dish, the main steps and the time needed to bake a cake in a glass pan.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.