In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you bake a cake by steaming?” We will also discuss how you can bake a cake by steaming as well as the advantages and disadvantages of baking a cake by steaming.
So if you are interested to know more about this topic, read carefully to the end.
Can you bake a cake by steaming?
Yes, you can bake a cake by steaming in a pot whether you do not have an oven, your oven is unreliable or do not have the needed electricity to power the oven.
The steaming process is one of the most common alternative methods to traditional oven baking that will allow you to bake a cake perfectly without the need for special equipment.
It is an easy and fast way to get a moist, tender and tasty versatile cake that you can decorate and enjoy on special occasions and satisfy your taste buds.
Baking a cake by steaming is the perfect way that will ensure you get a cake of soft texture and incredible taste.
However there are a few points that you should be aware of and take into consideration regarding this baking method whether you are baking a cake you made from scratch or a cake mix.
Baking a cake by steaming has its pros and cons but once you master this cake baking method you will be able to avoid the small steaming mistakes which can lead to undesired consequences.
What are the basic steps to perfectly bake a cake by steaming?
Baking a cake by steaming is easier than you can even imagine, besides it not only spares you from standing all day in the kitchen, but it is also eco-friendly and budget-friendly as it saves you a lot of time and energy.
This baking technique can be made by everyone, all that you have to follow these steps:
- Pour enough water (2 – 3 inches) to fill the bottom of a wok, a pot or a saucepan without totally evaporation and drying out
- Make sure that the wok, pot or saucepan you use is wider than your steamer o cake pan
- Cover with a lid and put your boiling container on the stove over high heat then bring to a boil
- lightly grease your cake pan with butter and then sprinkle flour so that it clings on all its surfaces or spray them with non-stick cooking spray to avoid any attachment during baking
- prepare your favourite cake recipe such as the Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Pour the cake batter you prepared into the greased cake pan and spread it evenly
- Lift the lid from the boiling pot then place your cake pan inside after the hot steam cloud dissipates
- Steam your cake for the same time duration indicated in your recipe for baking in the oven.
- Once the time is up take off the lid and wait for the steam to dissipate.
- Use toothpicks to test the middle of your cake if it is well baked by steaming where it should come out clean.
- Now that you cake is well baked, remove it in the pan from the pot and let it res for at least 10 minutes
What are the advantages of baking a cake by steaming?
Baking a cake by steaming has many advantages that makes it a considerable option compare to baking, here is a summarised list of the major pros:
- Tender fluffy texture and increased moisture
- No brown edges
- The ingredients authentic flavour will brightly shine
- The cake will be cooked faster by steam (212 F) than by baking (350 F.) since it will transfer heat more quickly and efficiently than air.
- your cake will not be overcooked with steam, so no more worries about getting burnt cake
What are the disadvantages of baking a cake by steaming?
Despite the advantages of baking a cake by steaming, here is a list of the most common disadvantages of steamed cakes:
- have an extremely delicate texture which can be easily fall apart, misshapen or flatten once they are removed from the pan too soon before cooling long enough to become firm
- no browned edges will affect the flavour and let the taste of the basic ingredients shine
- dries out and loses its moisture faster even though they tender and moist in texture
- High in calories since more fat, yoghourt, sour cream, and oil must be added to the cake recipe to help the cake retain its moisture as it cools down
For more detailed guidance, please check the link here
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query “Can you bake a cake by steaming?” We have also discussed how you can bake a cake by steaming as well as the advantages and disadvantages of baking a cake by steaming.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.